Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

San Antonio Oct. 2011 Swap Photos ...

The SAPS about plants (SAPS is an acronym for "San Antonio Plant Swap") had a wonderful swap meet today. The new location worked out great! Our thanks go to Barbra for arranging to get the park for us.

The weather cooperated bringing us cool breezes, but no rain to speak of. For all our moaning and groaning about not having many plants to bring somehow the tables were filled to overflowing; no small thanks to Jim and Pat who literally brought several scores of plants. How many was it, Santa Claus Jim? I think it was over 150 one gallon pots of the most gorgeous big healthy plants immaginable including lots of unusual ones that (gasp) I had never even heard of before! And to think he had to water them through the summer to be able to bring them to us.

Jim and some of the plants he brought ...

He also brought a few million poppy seeds ...

Jim and Pat with a couple of special door prizes ...

Here's Patty, mommie to a few hundred plants herself. Notice the T-shirt ...

Linda enjoying the cool breezes while bringing in her plants ...

We were very happy to welcome a new attendee, Yamini who posts under SAGardener ...

Sheila's table is always popular with her many edible goodies and recipes. Everything is well organized and very informational ...

Shiela showing the new varieties of corn she grew this year ....

Shiela brought seeds to the hibiscus we can use for tea ...

The SAPS is running high so let the swaps begin! Barbra and Gina getting with it ...

Pat (Leaping Frog Lady) and Annie ...

Gina, Jim, and Pat ...

Kathy telling it like it is with a group taking in every word ...

Somehow among all the plants we found a spot for the food. Barbra made chicken salad sandwiches, Meredith made a scrumptious desert, Patty brought drinks and there was hummus dip with chips and raw veggies for dipping ...

I had to look twice at the desert since it was cleverly arranged in a flower pot with flowers and looked like maybe some potting soil had spilled into it (LOL!) but by very bravely taking one taste it was revealed to be choclate sprinkled over a cream filling. Delish! ...

Meredith ...

Sheila checking out the table full of door prizes ...

Tonya, Shirley and Kathy ...

Tonya and Shirley ..

It can be truly said that a wonderful time was had by all. No frogs this time, but someone brought a big jar of tadpoles for Kathy to add to her pond ...

Now comes the fun of figuring out where to place all the wonderful plants we received and look ahead the spring swap :-)

Comments (47)

• castro_gardener
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I took pictures, too, but don't know how to get them here. Roselee, I think I need a tutorial, please.

Thanks to everyone who came and helped make it a fun day. It was really good to see everyone again. I hope you all had rain at home while we were able to enjoy the swap without getting wet.

If anyone has any questions at all about the plants I gave them, please don't hesitate to email me.

Patty

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Oh, my mouth drools at all those lovely plants, and I really "need" no more...............is that ever a reason to not "want"???? Looks like a great time was had by all, and everyone can spend hours tonight after going to bed placing and replacing where to put all the plants they got.

• marcie_new
    12 years ago

Oh oh!! I am sorry I missed the swap meet,(snif,snif)But there is always spring!!great pictures I could only see the first 4 but will go back and click on each picture and maybe this way I can see the rest. Happy gardening everyone M.N.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I meant to say we missed everybody who said they were coming and did not make it for one reason or another. We'll be looking forward to seeing lots more folks in the spring the when traditionally the SAPS run even higher :-)

Hope you all are getting some rain. None here yet, but I'm hopeful.

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

What a fun day! It was so good to finally have a face to face with friend from GW, I had never actually met,and to visit again with the ones I met in '09. I took home many really nice plants, the weather was perfect, and the food was great. Then after the swap, Pat and I toured the San Antonio Botanical Gardens, well, actually it was Roselee's garden. Believe me the beautiful pictures that she posts, don't do justice to her garden. To see it all, at once, was amazing! Her garden is absolutely beautiful. Of course, I left there with even more plants. Her 'Mulch Guy' is such a nice guy and the directions he gave me, to help me get home, were precise and got us to I10E with no hassles. Then we got home and watched it rain for nearly 3 hours, now that's icing on the cake.
    Jim

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

It was fun! So good to see y'all again.

It has rained off and all all night.

I am on the patio enjoying my coffee and a nice slow rain.

Kathy

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I am sad that I missed it. My offerings would have been pitiful. Patty, It was so good to see you squatting and not pushing a roller or sporting a cane.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Wow, we did have a good time of course. Thanks everyone, you are all so generous!

• leapingfroglady Valdez
    12 years ago

I agree that meeting up with you all every year is the highlight of my year. I look forward to seeing everyone this spring, too.

Thanks for all the wonderful plants. Now where to plant them.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Ok, I have edited the photos, and put them into a file on my computer, if anyone can call and walk me thru, how to get the file in my photobucket I can post the pictures. I emailed Roselee, but she has not responded. Kathy can you call me and walk me thru this? Patty, I think we are related. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

This will be my 5th try. I have posted pictures 4times and they do not show up, I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I think I will just post about 10 pictures at a time and see if it works. Barbra

This was our desert, don't you think the worms were a nice touch!

Patty,

{{gwi:1332537}}

Our Monarch"Kathy"

Listen" Grasshopper" Jim and Tonya

Best of Friends( Kathy and Jim)

Pat, Shirley, and Roselee aka Ragna

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

it was so nice to see all of you. Can't wait until the spring!
    I was planting in the rain today

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

How did my mother get in those pictures? LOL
    The older I get the more I look like her.

Kathy

• carrie751
    12 years ago

More pix of a great event.............thanks to Roselee and Barbra for posting them.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathy, I've noticed the same thing!

"Mirror mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all."

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Well here we go again, I will try to post 10 more pictures:

Tonya telling another fish story.
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/honeybunny2fox/SAM_0332.jpg

Shirley, Ragna, and Patty:

Gena, with the buzzard shot!

Gena,

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t68/honeybunny2fox/SAM_0315.jpg

She is the beat of our heart-- Ragnat!

Shirley, Pat, and Patty
    {{gwi:1332564}}

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Barbra, hit "enter" twice after you paste each picture and they won't run into each other.
    Thanks for posting the pictures.

k

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

You will never believe what I went thru last night, my computere was possessed. I will finish posting the pictures:

{{gwi:1332569}}

{{gwi:1332571}}

Finally, Tonya telling a fish tale!

Pat and Shirley

{{gwi:1332583}}

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

WOW! It's great to put faces to names. That looked like a fabulous swap. Y'all are so photogenic (your moms must be too).

• beachplant
    12 years ago

I think Jim & I are going to try and make the spring swap. The other Jim (bossjim) always has so much fun and has been trying to talk us into going. I haven't been to SA in years and want to visit. Let me know as soon as you have a date set, the sooner the better, my best chance of getting off is to ask 6 months in advance LOL!
    Tally HO!

• carrie751
    12 years ago

If you can do this, I will try as well, Tally.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness, Tally and Carrie! It will be soooo good if y'all could come. I hope some other folks that we haven't had the pleasure of meeting will decide to come also.

Barbra, thank you for hanging in there with the 'possessed' computer ;-) and getting the pictures posted.

PJ, we did have a happy day and it shows in the photos.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

March 24th looks like the best date. Easter is April 8, Fiesta begins April 19th, garage sale weekend in my neighborhood is March 31st....let me know if there's a conflict I didn't think of since we are more flexible now.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

What about April 14th, its before Fiesta. Most folks should have their income tax done. This would give us 3 more weeks of growing time. Barbra

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can't believe I've got all the plants planted that can be planted. Yea! The more tender ones that are left will spend the winter in the green house. The hardest part was deciding where to plant them but with a little contemplation the perfect spots revealed themselves to me.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

That's a great idea Barbra. We used to swap in March because it was hard to get a reservation in April and since we don't do that anymore we can go later. Better if we have a cold winter too.

April 14th works.

Ragna you're amazing, I've got a few done but still have a lot to plant.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

The story about the buzzard shot, was I was trying to get Linda to look up, so I could take her picture. She never would look up. I started saying things like look at the buzzard, look a bunny. Linda, never did look up, but poor Jena, looked so confused, I told her what I was trying to do, and she just started laughing, and I took the shot. It was a joke between us. Barbra

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

Looks like a blast - you folks are just plain fun!!!

• rcnaylor
    12 years ago

Faces for names, great!

And, btw, clearly gardening grows beautiful people!

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Well thanks, Richard! I think that's the first time anyone ever called me beautiful. Ha!
    Jim

• Vulture61
    12 years ago

I noticed that only one of the swappers changed his attire. Like the important tv events hosts, you know....the more casual, sportive look at the beggining, and then a more sophisticated look for the rest of the event (glasses included)...

Omar

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

haha- I told my husband about the buzzards too- barbara, was so very much fun- I have 95% of everything planted. Got a few more that I am waiting a bit on to plant. Wish I got them in before the rain. We need one more good storm like that!
    Gina

• rcnaylor
    12 years ago

There you go Jim. Just who I had most in mind!

PS I'll call you very beautiful if you come up and help me put in some garden structures in my back yard. ;)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Dapper" would be very descriptive of Jim, especially with the start of a beard evident in the picture that Barbra took :-)

Bob grows one in the winter and I love it!

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Hey Omar, that isn't shadows on the top half of my tee shirt. If you had been there you would have been glad that I went and changed.
    Jim

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Hey Omar, that isn't shadows on the top half of my tee shirt. If you had been there you would have been glad that I went and changed.
    Jim

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

Speaking of possessed computers, I couldn't seem to post on this thread last weekend. Maybe this time it'll work. SO happy that S.A. got some good rain...and we did also. The pics are great (except they couldn't make me look young)! The swap was a really good one. I've been enjoying the cool weather...until this afternoon, when it got back into the 80's...now with the higher temps the humidity is so BAD.

• Vulture61
    12 years ago

Man, Jim! I thought you did it just to impress the ladies! :D Jk.

I'm the same way. I just need to step outside to start sweating, let alone when working on the yard. My daughter keeps saying that I smell like "working outside".

Omar

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Richard, Pat said I could borrow Jim for about a week, but I would have to feed and water him. I can't decide if the structures would be worth it.
    All joking aside, Pat and Jim it was so nice to be able to visit with y'all.

Kathy

• meriberi
    12 years ago

Thank y'all for coaxing me out to the swap - I had a great time as always! Thank you especially for all the wonderful plants - y'all are so generous! :)

- M

• rcnaylor
    12 years ago

We were a nippy 42 degrees yesterday morning. Supposed to be down to about 38 next Tuesday. Locusts are turning a little.

Fall is usually our most enjoyable weather season up here.

• chuckesweetmb
    12 years ago

I'm so sad I missed the swap! i just got into gardening, and saw the posts, but was a week too late for the swap. :( I'll wait for the spring one.
    Jen had also mentioned of meeting up the first week of nov, so that could be fun!

I'm a complete newbie on gardening and would love any advice on building a raised bed garden for some vegetables and flowers. People have told me its easy,and just need to build the box, add the "soil mix"-does someone have the "recipe" for it? and then plant the plants.

I'm hoping to make my own "hawaii" in SA. If anyone has any plants they would like to donate, let me know, I'd be happy to trade for baked goodies, since I dont have many plants yet (have some pepper plants, some dying tomato plants, just got some jasmine plants).

I'm looking for some plumeria (kms2 was kind enough to share some), but would love more, hibiscus, ginger, jasmine, anything that smells good,and reminds me of hawaii, and purple flowers (fav color).

Thanks, can't wait to get started...

"chuckie"

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I just got back from the coast, and was able to visit Alberts new home. You should see the plants they have. I have never seen such rare and beautiful plants. He still has to put in flowerbeds, but he has perfect locations. Jim, I gave him the extra plant you gave me. He was very appreciative. I hope he gets to comes to the April swap, he starts most of these plants from cuttings. What a gardener! Roselee, you cannot believe what I saw, it was better than the Botantical gardens in Corpus. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Wow, Barbra sounds like you had a great visit. Did you take pictures? I hope they can be here for the April swap, it would be great to see them again.

Chuckie - We always enjoy meeting new gardeners at the swaps. You can make raised beds from almost anything. I use concrete blocks and large rocks instead of wood. You can also get ready made end pieces so you don't have to nail anything. Here's a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raised bed corners

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Good Barbra! Sounds like it went to a good home. I'd like to meet Albert someday.
    Jim

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Chuckie, I use Windsor bricks for my raised flowerbeds at the coast. I stack them two high. If you are intestered, they mark them half price at Wal Mart, and Lowes around September. I have over one thousand windsor bricks right now. I am always changing the shape, or adding to my beds, so this works best for me, and it looks great! Barbra