Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcnaylor

Watch out, the gate is gonna be down

rcnaylor
10 years ago

Amarillo:Light Snow
Hi 33� : Low 25�
***VERY COLD WITH LIGHT SNOW POSSIBLE ON FRIDAY!*** You can only hold back Arctic air for so long before it arrives...and on Friday...IT will arrive!

ha

Comments (23)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Well, hold it up there as long as you can, RC, as the first freeze was enough for me.....(grin)!!!! I think old man Winter may arrive a bit early this year, and we may soon forget the past two mild winters. Mild winters are always nice while they last.
    Stay warm !!!!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Oh dang, but thanks for the warning. We got through the last cool spell with no freezing temps, but I just looked and a low of 34 is predicted here for Friday and 30 for Sunday. Guess I better start putting stuff up.

• melvalena
    10 years ago

Brrr!! Time to drag the box of winter clothes out of the closet and fire up the hot toddies. :)

Thanks for the heads up Richard!

Hope you got all your chores done and the garden put to bed already.

Speaking of hot toddies, we just discovered this stuff. I like sipping it, cold from the fridge right now. I know its not hot but it certainly warms me up while sitting on the porch in the cool evenings now.

If you like martinis I've read people mix with vodka for a good one.
    Tonight I'm gonna mix with Kahlua :)

Cheers everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fulton's Harvest Cream Liqueur

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

Can't you hold the gate a little longer? My 'Birds' are just now showing up!

Jim

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll try to hold it up here Carrie, so long as you can do that from in front of a fire place drinking some of that good stuff melvalena is proposing. :)

Roselee, we have already had some good hard freezes and I spent six hours this weekend battling leaves. Tonight I planted 120 red tulips. Both were a little late, I had some family stuff that wouldn't wait.

I'm really hoping for a wet winter, Carrie, I'll take it cold or warm if itl'll just be a little wet!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I really don't seem to have much "pull" with MN, RC, but I will put in a request for you nevertheless.

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Oh no..... but we're not ready yet, either. :-) The plumerias are still out and so are our desert roses and hibiscus. And to top it all, my gardenia is getting yellow leaves.... Bummer! I really thought the cold front was coming in two more weeks. I can get the tropicals into the shed, but any ideas how to winterize a gardenia? It's in the ground. Thanks, RC, for the post.

Jim, that is a gorgeous bird. Love the colors and the leaves in the background. It would make a wonderful painting to hang on the wall. Do you bring them inside for the winter? I've always wanted to grow some. Thanks for the post.

This post was edited by sunnysa on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 6:50

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is gorgeous Jim. This early I would hope for you that this cold front losses steam somewhere north of Houston!

But, I've given up predicting the swings that seem to go along with our new weather patterns.

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Adding to the COLD in the air will be STRONG northerly winds blowing at speeds averaging 25-35 mph with some gusts upwards of 45-55 mph possible. This will create wind chill values in the single digits and teens all day long! then as temps fall below freezing, the rain will change to freezing rain, sleet and snow."

Not going to be out messing with any gates guys. lol

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

WOW!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Could you maybe, sorta, kinda close them BEFORE it all begins, RC???

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha. I'm thinking the only question on this one, Carrie, is how many fences it blows through before it decides to slow down!

• melvalena
    10 years ago

Alright folks, we've been given plenty of warning and time to prepare.

Brace yourself RC & Hunker Down!

(I'm sure you've already stocked up on the necessities)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I have everything watered well, Gail, and it looks as if MN may do the rest of it for me on Friday. At least it looks as if we will get rain with this one, RC. Hope you do as well.

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Icy mix and three degree chill factor" at the moment here.

Watch out below! ;)

• melvalena
    10 years ago

Thankfully we did get a good rain outa this front. The cold arrived at my house between 8 and 9pm last night, and its still here! :( Predicting winter mix Sun - Mon.

Hearty soup time!

Thanks to RC's timely heads up we're all snug and tucked in.

The dog found a small frog that we suppose came inside with one of my potted tropicals. I managed to capture it and put it in the garage with my other plants and a jar lid with some water in it.

This morning I could hear him croaking from behind the fridge! So I know he made it through the night. :) Maybe he'll keep the bugs under control out there through the winter? I'm hoping he hangs around for a while.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Tree Frog

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, that's not the usual way the cold makes a frog croak! ;)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I have them in my greenhouse, Gail, and they will scare you if you aren't expecting them............LOL> He should be fine and will DEFINITELY keep the bugs under control.
    The storms last night turned my DH's trip home from Nashville into about six hours. They had to land in Shreveport because DFW was closed.

• melvalena
    10 years ago

RC,
    It will be interesting to see how long that frog lasts out in the garage. I'm sure he'll get all the warmth he needs from the fridge and freezer. He'll need some moisture and food though. Hope there's enough of both those to keep him going.
    I don't know but he might hibernate out there during the coldest part of the winter.

Carrie,
    I had no idea DFW was shut down last night. I'm sure your hubby was glad to get back home!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I know the weatherman said we were not supposed to freeze tonight, but it is already 33 degrees at my house, so don't think that will hold true for me, so going to turn the heater on in the greenhouse.

• melvalena
    10 years ago

It does seem to be getting colder out there. I'm counting on it not freezing until after I get back home tonight around 11ish or so.

Bundling up and heading out to get the mail before it gets any colder out there!

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

We've got the heater on in our greenhouse. We're hunkering down.... we're not done yet but we're getting there!

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lookin' good in there!