Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

It's never a bad day to visit the S. A. Botanical Gardens

With the approach of winter I wondered if it would be a good day to visit the SABG, but I needn't have questioned. Upon arriving at the gardens with my friend Renee I've decided there's never a bad day to go.

With the gardens protected environment all the perennials like this salvia were still in full bloom ...

Easy to grow Red shrimp plant looking most impressive in the slanting light of fall enhanced by the tall spiky plant accompaniment ...

The gorgeous Giant red crinum was all of four or five feet tall. Where oh where to plant mine from Barbra? ...

As beautiful as everything was in what I call the cottage garden area they were NOT the stars of the show. Coming upon this sight at the entrance of the conservatory was like entering another world, a world of carnivorous plants -- "The Savage Gardens" ...

Carnivorous plants like this pitcher plant are the focus of the SABG until December 1. Try to attend. It's worth it. The only thing missing yesterday was Joey there to feed them as he did at a recent SABG event.

Some of the many varieties on display ...

The huge sculptures were gorgeous! Sundew sculpture ...

A real Sundew plant ...

Venus fly catcher sculpture. Push a button and the catcher closed demonstrating its action when an insect wanders into the trap ...

Another giant sculpture helps sets the stage for this thrilling event ...

Back to the more mundane; I never noticed this zig zag edging before. Was it there? ...

The many citrus trees in the Orangarie were heavily laden with fruit. This is Lemondarin, a Mandarin orange and lemon cross from India ...

A huge and exotic fruit: Buddha's hand. Yes, it's a citrus. Notice the fragrant flowers at the upper left ...

Our more familiar Meyer's lemon ...

The fern grotto was more eerily foggy than usual ...

I love the junglely look of the philodendron branch ...

I never see other varieties of Sago palms for sale like this blue green one. Have you? ...

I didn't know some barrel cactus reproduced from their sides like this little variegated one ...

Speaking of variegated how about his paddle plant? If anyone sees it for sale please let me know. The color in the photo is not enhanced! It's every bit this colorful ...

There must be various varieties of Kalanchoe luciae (Paddle Plant). Mine doesn't color up like this. Does yours? ...

I'm always impressed with Agave impressions ..

This may look ordinary, but I'm telling you the food at the Bistro restaurant is absolutely fabulously delicious. You don't have to pay to enter the garden to eat there ...

Dining outdoors is a further delight ...

I took almost 200 photos, but am leaving you with only these few. (Aren't you glad? ... LOL) Visit the gardens at any time of the year to absorb more delights for the senses.

Comments (12)

• phoenix7801
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That wonderful sage at the beginning is an Indigo Spires Salvia and the cycad is a Dioon spinulosum I believe. In addition, that is a Kalanchoe thrysiflora "Fantastic." My boss recently has bought some different ferns to renovate the Fern Grotto and make it more varied.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Joey for the names and IDs! I love how we always find something new growing at the gardens.

New to me is this colorful plant. Can anyone ID it? The foliage is similar to portulaca.

• phoenix7801
    10 years ago

If it was in a newly planted pot it is probably Linaria "Fairy Bouquet."

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    10 years ago

What lovely photos! And I'm so glad you included the Buddha hand - I got one in a plant swap from a friend whose husband rooted from their plant. Can't wait!

Lin

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

Great photos and some very interesting plant!
    Thanks, Roselee for sharing.

Jim

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Thanks for showing. Great shots. great plants.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Enjoyed these photos of your visit...............thanks for sharing.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm glad to know you enjoyed the photos! Thanks so much for replying.

Joey, the plant in question was in a recently planted pot so Linaria "Fairy Bouquet" it is. One internet source listed it as an alpine plant, so I'm guessing it's one, like pansy and snap dragon that will make it through San Antonio's comparitively mild winters.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lin, how exciting to have a start of the citrus Buddha's hand! I never dreamed anyone in Texas had it. Keep us posted on how it does for you.

Here's more fruit photos. It had several 'hands'.

• phoenix7801
    10 years ago

Yeah its one of many plants we at the greenhouse are asked to grow on a consistant basis. That Linaria comes up real spindly at first until we cut it back so it can put out stronger shoots. Someday ill document the process we go through to grow these plants.

• phoenix7801
    10 years ago

Yeah its one of many plants we at the greenhouse are asked to grow on a consistant basis. That Linaria comes up real spindly at first until we cut it back so it can put out stronger shoots. Someday ill document the process we go through to grow these plants.

• dcarpenter
    10 years ago

Beautiful pictures. I especially loved the Buddha hands. Thanks for sharing.

Darlene