Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Not too bad for mid November ...

After the very windy squall that blew in early this morning I wondered if anything would be left in the garden.

I noticed a perfectly pristine Heritage bloom last evening and made a note to myself to take a picture of it this morning. I was amazed that it was still there and still beautiful, complete with it's great lemony fragrance ...

I've been waiting until the fragrant mistflower, Eupatorium havanense, was fully covered in blooms before taking a picture of it, but awoke to find it fully covered by a pot of bougainvilleas that blew over in the squall. Oh well, it makes for a nice color combination ...

I'm going to try to root cuttings.

This is a purple version of boneset from Europe, Fortune's Eupatorium, that I got from the old Hill Country Gardens ...

Wooley Bee Brush was a little droopy, but looking all the more graceful. It's a tall plant, about 5 or 6 ft. and has coarse foliage, but is never out of bloom all summer long and keeps most of it's leaves in winter ...

Here's another favorite David Austin rose for its beauty and fragrance, Jude the Obscure ...

If ever a rose should be name 'Mutablis' for its changing colors it's Molineux. Sometimes it's light clear yellow, sometimes almost white, sometime pure orange. Here it is today ...

{{gwi:208162}}

Thanks to Carrie I'm in love again. The replanted Dr. Seuss brug recovered enough to bloom, and then it set eight more buds ...

A new for me plant this year is purple Porterweed that was planted for the butterflies which never came. I planted it around a pot meant for a rose. Before the rose got planted Malabar spinach volunteered ...

One of my favorite shrimp plants, Fruit Cocktail. I have five kinds of shrimps now with the yellow one Jim gave me and love them all for their ability to take the heat and drought ...

A flower that I've raved about before is the amazing everblooming Four nerve daisy, shown here with it's friend, Black foot daisy ...

Anyone who loves scented plants should consider growing Night blooming jasmine even if it does have to be dragged in for the winter. The scent is heavenly and heavily wafts ...

I like the slightly bizarre flavor the succulent hanging basket gives to the rather mundane front yard ...

Does anyone know the name of this agave being being embraced by Copper canyon daisey? I love the curving arms. The frowning figure in this otherwise happy plant photo looks like he was baptised in lemon juice. I don't know why I keep him around ... LOL

Hope you weren't too bored with more photos from me!

Comments (31)

• carrie751
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bored??? What a way to start my morning...........thanks, Roselee. It looks beautiful, as always.

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

You can't bore me with pictures of your beautiful garden, but you are welcome to keep trying. Thanks for posting. Your pictures always inspire me.
    Jim

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Sort of like a shopping trip. Oh, I want some of that, yes, I'll take seeds etc.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I like your attitude, Kathy !!! Yeah, shopping spree !!!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

Just beautiful! Everything looks so good! Is the fragrant mistflower a tall plant?

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Beautiful, even the accidents are beautiful in your garden.

My eye was drawn to the pot you made and how good it looks.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Roselee, is your Porterweed hardy, or does it reseed?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks always to everybody for looking and for commenting.

Pam, the fragrant mistflower Eupatorium havanense is a compact 3' by 3' in my garden. It dies to the ground each winter. The blue one is rangier and gets about 4' x4'. I really like both of them.

Carrie, I believe the porterweed will be an annual for me, but it readily reseeds. I bought it last fall at the Botanical Gardens plant sale and kept it in the greenhouse. The mother plant died, but a lot of little plants came up in the pot.

If you look it up on the "D" garden they talk mainly about two varieties; Stachytarpheta jamaicensis and Stachytarpheta urticifolia, although there are more. I think mine is S. urticifolia. I see it in all the butterfly houses that I've visited.

S. urticifolia is said to be invasive in Florida and grows to 5' ir 6' there, but since it freezes back here I don't anticipate any problems with it. As Shirley and I have both said we need strong so called 'invasive' plants to make it in our yards!

I'm counting on it to reseed, but am saving some flowering stalks to be sure. I think it will look nice coming up around the pots of roses, sort of like an all summer blooming larkspur; and being a butterfly and hummingbird nectar source is a real plus.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

This is why I would be interested in it.........for the hummers. They seldom use the feeders as at my house, they really prefer "nature's own". Thanks for clearing this up for me as I saw it was hardy only to zone 9 (far away from me.........LOL).

• ibheri
    12 years ago

I just love your cottage garden Roselee. Love the natives and drought plants. I was suprised to see your black foot daisy blooming all the way into Nov. Mine dried up a while ago. Like the shrimp cocktail too. I am hoping the one Jim gave me will make it thru the winter. Will move that guy into my garage when it gets a lil more cooler. Is your fragrant mist flower the same as greg's mistflower? Mine is not white though, its lavender and I do not recall any fragrance to it. Enjoyed loking at your garden.
    Indu

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi all. sprained right hand. not bad but can not type easily.

mist flower not the same as greg's ...

ty :-) talk later.

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Gee Roselee! Sorry about your hand and hope it's better soon.
    Jim

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Oh my, talking too fast with your hands?

• carrie751
    12 years ago

One handed typing is hard to do............hope you are better really soon.

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

I thought everyone typed with one hand. It's the one handed gardening that would do me in.
    Jim

• carrie751
    12 years ago

That, too, Jim................LOL>

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i hit bob ;-) & broke bone in hand. on the way to see hand dr.

jim u made me laugh. one hand typing is not easy as letters are worn off the keys ...lol.

thanks all.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I hope it isn't broken (BTW, how is Bob...LOL), and that it will mend quickly. At least it is at the close of the busy season, and not the beginning.

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Poor Bob! I don't know how he puts up with it! Ha!Ha!
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jim, he has a hard jaw! broke my 4th meta tarsal. out patient surgery wed. to put screws. bone heals quickly after that.

yes carrie! sure glad i got stuff already in greenhouse :-)

hunt & peck typing would be easy if i could see letters ... lol

• Vulture61
    12 years ago

Sorry, Roselee!!

Omar

• melvalena
    12 years ago

OH Man!! at least it wasn't your picture taking finger!
    Make Bob type for you!! :)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

OMG! Did you really mean wednesday? That is almost a week!

• carrie751
    12 years ago

That is a long time............any particular reason for waiting that long?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's the only day the dr. does surgery, plus primary dr. has to do a physical and issue okay even tho surgery is done under local anesthesia. hand is in a partial cast so it doesn't hurt much. after the bone is pinned the hand can be used, tho i probably won't be digging any holes for awhile. if not pinned it never heals as the break can't be stabilized. i never knew all that ... :-)

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

".....i never knew all that ..."

I didn't either, but I must say, you found a hard way to learn. Hopefully you will be back to digging and planting soon.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

melva u r right ... lol

very small skipper on Fortune's Eupatorium ...

Fortune's Eupatorium not quite in full bloom ...

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Beautiful, everything so pretty and lush. Whats a little wind.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Today is Roselee's surgery..............wish her well, everyone !!!!

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Good Luck, Roselee, and Happy Thanksgiving! No cooking or dish-washing tomorrow? You'll be completely spoiled by the time your hand heals.
    Jim

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Oh I so hope that it went well and she'll be back to doing whatever it is she wants to do!