Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Fires, My lovely fires.

Posted by wantonamara 8bTx (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 4, 11 at 0:19

They lifted the burn ban and I was able to burn LAST YEARS cut brush. It was scary because the grass was still pretty dry. ...Its not now. We are soggy and muddy now. I have three more piles to go and then it is this years piles.

Here is a link that might be useful: My lovely fires

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Fires, My lovely fires.

Who's bringing the marshmellows?

o

I can't get close enough to toast anything but me. After I finish the piles I am going to burn the grass in the whole field. I have never done that before.. This will be a first for me. I did go to a workshop on it. So now, of course, I am an expert. LOL

o

I love seeing the pictures of your fires, especially on this cold morning when the pilot light is out on the heater here and the 'mulch guy/heater lighter' sleeps late ... LOL!

Those piles of brush represent a lot of work. What is the purpose for burning the grass (fresh grass growth, more wild flowers?) and what do you have in mind for the fields after you burn the grass? Although I'm a city girl I'm fascinated with what ranchers and farmers do.

Thanks again for sharing your excellent photos.

o

Lots of work thinning my stands of cedar and oaks. The Thach in the grass has gotten really thick and the new grass and wildflowers have a tough time getting through it . So, I need to burn it.

Whatever grows there is what will grow there. I might toss some seed but so far I have been unsuccessful in getting things started that did not come naturally. I am still learning. Always learning.

o

Thanks Mara. I'm for tossing the seeds and seeing what happens in the ashes :-)

o

The fire will "excite" some seeds that are already in the dirt and they will sprout. There are many seeds out in the dirt, just naturally. I might go and buy some though. The grass will grow back from its roots also. Things are not dead just black.

o

I remember as a young girl nearly everyone burned their grass in El Paso. I don't think we did it every year. I was told it would come back nicer. I don't remember when we did it either. But I'm sure it was in the winter/early spring while it was dormant.

o

One does not need to do it every year. I have not done it before . I have been told it is a desirable thing to do and I have been told by people who know more than me and have advanced degrees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here