Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcnaylor

Head south Omar!

rcnaylor
10 years ago

its not looking like your kind of weather!

http://www.connectamarillo.com/weather/images/uploaded/web_page_7_day_fx.jpg?w=640&nogrow=t

Here is a link that might be useful: weather

Comments (24)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Wish I could stave it off, RC, but afraid this one is going to be the killer. Omar may be warmer than in my area, but still going to be COLD by anyone's standards. I am going to water the greenhouse and plant room today, and just hope for the best. Stay warm, everyone, and no slipping on the ice !!!!

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

Ahhhggg! What a gate keeper you are! Do your job, man! :p

Last thing I heard is that we will be in the low 20's. Are you going to be colder than that, Carrie?

Omar

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Possibility of dropping into the 'teens, Omar, but looks like a more prolonged freeze than I care for. I hibernate as much as possible, but when you live in the country, that isn't totally possible.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Just saw where one forecaster is saying three degrees, yes that is what it said...............3*!!! I don't remember it's ever being below 8* since I have been in North Texas. How about it...................anyone else remember three degrees before?? Oh, this is definitely NOT good !!!!!

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, three in North Texas. That is rare. I remember years ago they once played the Cotton Bow (in the old outdoor stadium) when it was in single digits.

Joe Montana later swore he almost died from hypothermia.

And I went to a high school playoff game in Arlington (or thereabouts) about 20 years ago and it was in the single digits. Coldest football game I ever sat through. Really brutal.

And, sorry Omar, I go on gate keeper strike at about 20 degrees. ;) Good luck down there!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I remember 2 degrees in Austin area dec. 23 (I think) of '87
    Scorched my bamboo down to the ground. But it popped right back up, My Boyfriends Ex left a Jade plant on the back steps. I found it in the morning frozen into popsicles

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I think that was just a typo as on tonight's forecast, they were predicting only 20*...............but six days of freezing temps is a bit much for me

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"I found it in the morning frozen into popsicles."

Ha! Man, we are all going to be lucky if we aren't popsicles with this storm.

BTW, windchill here currently is minus 8... and that may be feeling warm in a day or two.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I know we have had two mild winters (for which I am thankful), but wow, MN is making up for it this year. RC, I hope you guys are safe through all this.........stay warm !!

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Carrie, you too!

I'm going to try to stay in all I can. The older I get, the less fun sliding around outside seems!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Speaking of low temperatures I remember the temps going down into the single digests in San Antonio when I was a young teen. Just looked it up and the coldest recorded temperature in San Antonio was one degree Jan. 31, l949. I guess that was the year. So it can get pretty darn cold here! Seems we're going to see more weather extremes in the coming years

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FYI we B 3

temp, not windchill. Fortunately, our usual gale force winds aren't blowing.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

That is cold, RC.................17 here this morning, and I don't plan on going outside. I think the birdseed must be frozen inside the feeders as the little birds are really having to work to get anything out.

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A bird's life looks grand in the summer. But, come winter, those little dudes look like they are having no fun!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

It is almost 11am and 22 F . WTF!

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"WTF!"

Definitely been one of "them" kind of storms. I'm glad I didn't get that ice a lot of Texas got with this one!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

We are still iced in, RC, but weatherman says above freezing for a short period today. Of course, all that means is that it will just refreeze tonight. I am so ready for sunshine and warmth..........this weather really affects my personality...............LOL>

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

".this weather really affects my personality."

There is a reason the guys who have to suffer through Russia's winters invented vodka I think! lol

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Ha..................you may be on to something, RC !!!!

The sun is shining and we are above freezing at the moment.............so perhaps we will get out from under this blanket of sleet we have had since Thursday night.

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

I don't mean it as a brag, and I'm half afraid to even mention it for fear of jinksing us, but I am grateful that we didn't go below 35 degrees with this big storm. They had predicted much worse.

Jim

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I am very happy for you, Jim, and I hope it holds true for the rest of the season.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Well, drat......................it was low teens here this morning, and I am looking at a lot of sleet still on the ground. I didn't sign on for this many days of COLD !!!!

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Like Jim said, at the risk of jinxing things, you guys in the middle of Texas got it a lot worse on this one than us in the North Pole of Texas. And, sounds like the "tropics", Houston, missed the brunt of it too.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

The icing did not hit southCentral Tesxas the way it hit just north of Austin and up. We lucked out on that part.