Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

The Makeover Has Begun ...

As most of you know I'm redesigning the garden to make it more drought tolerant and easier to care for. The appearance of chili thrips pushed me into doing what I'd been contemplanting doing anyway. It will be an ongoing process for the next couple of years at least.

Most of the roses have been removed and have gone to their new home. In their place will be agaves, yuccas, and other drought tolerant plants that will need watering once a week, or less in most cases. I've started placing a few things here and there just to see how it looks ...

Red shrimp plant was cleared away and the St. Francis statue moved. I like how the twisted trunk of the Youpan holly tree shows up. I'll probably move the wrought iron plaque down a bit and also do an arrangement of small pots of succulents around the statue ...

I'm considering ornamental grasses in the bed by the deck. This time of year it's easy to forget how much water the cannas on the left require, but I'm trying to think of something else to plant there; maybe a short bushy palm or bamboo ...

I'm doing some experiments with color. Three colors are on the plant stand and two on the iron bench and trellis triangles. Also there are two shades of bright blue on the formerly blah blue shutters. Which do you like best? ...

There will still be some roses in the yard, just not as many ...

Can anyone ID the cactus received from a swap? I'd like to know how cold tolerant it is. I love the form. And look how much plant is growing from the little black nursery pot ...

Any design and plant selection ideas that come to mind as you view the photos will be appreciated.

By the way in my consideration colors, the garden linked below has been an inspiration. It's been featured on the Austin blog 'Digging' three times.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lucinda Hutson's colorful Austin garden ...

Comments (10)