Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exoticrgvnativesty

Moon garden with South Texas natives

ExoticRGVNativesTy
11 years ago

I just finished work on a new bed at our property in Bayview and thought I'd post a few pictures of it. I combined several native plants with light-colored, fragrant flowers that open at night to create a moon garden. Working towards the middle, there are Runyon's Manfredas on the left and right edges, followed by Fiddle-leaf Tobacco, and, lastly, Crucillo (Randia obcordata). Three Berlandier's Trumpets, a vine, were planted at the back of the bed so that they will cover an existing chain-link fence.

This is what it looks like, from left to right:

Palm fronds aren't the most photogenic of mulches and must be weighted down to prevent them from blowing in the wind and smothering the plants, but they are free and get the job done. I added fallen leaves to fill in the bare spots after the pictures were taken.

This is what the bed looks like overall, with a view of the resaca in the background:

I originally wanted to place the bed along a section of fence that was closer to our pool, veranda, and patio, but discovered the spot was directly above a previously-unknown buried concrete slab after I had bought all of the plants and started digging. The current location shouldn't disrupt the view of the resaca too much.

Ty

Comments (3)