Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

I need a garden chore

cynthianovak
11 years ago

The weather is fabulous, the bulbs are all in, the leaves are were they'll spend the winter, even the big tropicals are in the driveway out of the garage.

I need some garden chores! Are there any seeds i can toss in january? Probably not. atching the poppies isn't very exciting. deep sigh.... I hope you have some suggestions. The neighbors already know I'm odd, but I keep walking the dog around and around the neighborhood.

This is the time of year I fall to those gorgeous plants that only look good in the nursery's showroom. But I'm tempted to go look just in case there is something I "need"

What are y'all doing?
c

Comments (15)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I like to take the downtime to spruce up my garden art, paint pots, ect. I am no good at winter sowing although this is the time to do that. I tend to forget to open the tops on my ws containers when we get warm weather and fry the seedlings.

All that being said, my tulips that have been chilling in the fridge for a couple months are in a bag on the table and I can't plant them. I am having a flare up of back issues/pinched nerves and have been down for a week :-( It's so beautiful outside this weekend!

• melvalena
    11 years ago

I'm out there doing all the chores I should have done back in Nov/Dec!! Its nice and warm if you're working and moving around. Wearing a thick tee shirt and sweatpants is plenty!

Since all your chores are done Cynthia, it sounds like sprucing up the garden art is the thing to do unless you want to come over and help me with my mess? :)

One of those things I decided not to do this year:
    plant pansies. I thought I needed to take some time off and figured I could get through the winter with out them.

So what do I ABSOLUTELY NEED to do come January??
    Plant pansies. :)
    I bought 2 flats and planted 3 big pots with them. I figure that,and the 3 cabbages finishing the clean up of the beds will get me over the January hump.

PK.. I deal with the same issue. Seeing the acupuncturist is the only thing that helps me. I can't take any of the drugs they use for treating it and surgery is not an option.
    Email if you want more info on that. I've found a great one!

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Beautiful weather, and looks like we may get more this week! Today I worked on cleanup, cut Turkscap back plus some Nepeta. Hope it's not too early. I did notice some new growth on a few of my roses - hate to see this, as know what February can bring...

I have plenty to do in the house as kitchen remodel will start mid-February, and need to clear out my pantry as well as kitchen (my heart is outside), but when the time comes and I HAVE to do it, will get it done!

Enjoy our weather!

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pkponder, I'm sorry you are in such pain, I'd come plant your tulips if your were closer.....:(

There is plenty to do inside, but my big outdoors task was to emply and scrub all 3 litter boxes and walk the dog.

I had to plant tulips in the frosty days just after Christmas. Crawling around in layers of clothes and we knees just isn't as much fun as in the sun.

I got my pansies just before Christmas. Ended up with 7 flats beause at $8 and ultimately $5 am 18 count flat i just couldn't say "no." Poor vender bought a huge amount and that late warm weather was not his friend.

They sure do make he happy now.

These days are like little treasures

c

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

Well, I am also looking for a couple of small garden chores now that the weather is nice for a few days. Of course, I have to remember that this is not the end of cold or dreary weather and it's too early for most of the things I need to do, such as fertilizing, pruning, repotting container plants and mulching. I think I will prune back my lantanas and turks cap since I know they will not make much of an attempt at sprouting up until the soil has warmed a little. I can also thin out the hundreds of blanket flower seedlings that look like a green carpet in one of my flower beds.
    Molly

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I spend last Thursday and Friday spreading mulch trying to level the yard. Planted a lemon tree in a 10 gallon pot. Filled two trash bags with carpet grass pulled from my flowerbeds. Then planted a tray of snapdragons between my gerber dasies. It felt really good after I got these things done. This was the first time I was able to work in the yard, since before my surgery. I can't wait for spring to come and I can bring out the tropicals. I am waiting for 70 degree weather, so I can kill the dollar weed, that has taken over my lawn.

Just want to share some advise about pruning back overgrown plants. I found out the hard way. Some plants you can only prune 1/3 of the growth, or you will lose them. Be sure and read up before you prune to make sure you will not loose your established plants. Barbra

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

I use my computer to keep records of all my plants and flowers, etc. I use a free photo program for keeping records on the blooms, etc. I use my genealogy program for record keeping of both successes and failures. I am able to copy and paste needed information for all my plants. This also makes it easier to share photos when offering anything others may want so they can see what I have. Taking photos of all plants in all 4 seasons help when sharing for me or those who have never gone through this process. I find that no matter how well have completed our gardens there is always growth somewhere that can still surprise me. Right now I have plants that say; from all I have read should not be in bloom, they bloom in our hot summers.

As for flowers there are Cosmos that are full of color. Bachelor buttons, and Larkspurs. If you mixed those poppies with them you could have lots of color. Nice thing about annuals is they are usually gone by the time your perennials start to bloom. I love to have perennials that bloom at different times so I will have a long range of time with more blooms. I do not have many blooms, but at least my bougainvillaea, yellow coneflowers, and Calendulas are giving me some colors.

• random_harvest
    11 years ago

Boy oh boy, am I lucky! My flower beds are absolutely FULL of dandelions. What a great day I'm planning for tomorrow. Aren't y'all jealous? :-)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

hahaha random harvest. You getting rid of those pretty yellow flowers?

I finally felt well enough to plant the tulips, I hope it's not too late!

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    11 years ago

Could get out your shovel and start some direct composting with those piles of just-fallen leaves. I do this regularly around this time with dried oak leaves. Rake 'em and bake, er, bury 'em. My garden soil, which was once caliche-clay now feels like 100% compost (because it just about is), and stuff grows like crazy in it. Once you're done, give it a good soaking, and stand back. In March, give it a good turn, and start planting! There will still be leaf stems around, but those just loosen the soil.

I have a separate compost pit for kitchen compostables, but I use that for pots and starter. But when I want to get rid of YARDS of fallen leaves, direct composting is the way to go.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Ha, I just cover my leaves with composted donkey manure, Wally ................much easier for me.
    And................if there is anyone out there who would like to volunteer, I have at least a week of chores just cutting back perennials that freeze back......any takers???

• Gretchen W.
    11 years ago

Hi Carrie, I would love to help you, seriously take me up on it.

• mswillis5
    11 years ago

If you are offering, I have weeks worth of tasks to do on my yard & garden.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Gretchen, that is so sweet of you.............I couldn't let you do that, but thanks so much for the offer.....pretty unbelieveable, don't you think, fellow gardeners???

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

What a generous offer, Gretchen!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022