Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
element321

When to plant pole beans/peas

element321
15 years ago

I was thinking about planting some cool weather peas and beans. I can either sow outside or under grow lights in my garage until its time to plant.

Also, When should I sow my tomatoe and hot pepper seeds indoor. When should the seedlings put outside. These will all be growing in pots so they can be covered or moved inside if we have another cold spell.

Comments (8)

• shebear
    15 years ago

I'm up in Dallas area and I'm starting my tomatoes and peppers indoors now. Green beans and pole beans don't like any cool weather so they won't go in until much later. Peas (like english peas) on the other hand could probably be planted now......depends on if you think February will get real icy.

Zone 8 in Texas is quite large. My last average frost is March 16 so you can work around from there.

I plant my tomatoes out around the first of March but I wrap my CRW cages with plastic so if you don't plan on doing that then plant a couple of weeks later. Wind really dries out tomatoes so if your area is prone to that consider finding something to block it. I use old wood shingles but cardboard would do. Just put it in the ground a foot or so from the plant on the side the wind generally comes from.

Onions will be showing up in bunches too about now so if you plan on planting those be on the lookout. Seed potatoes will show up about the middle of February and keep a lookout for asparagus too. Those roots show up sometime soon too.

Some of this info won't necessarily apply to you but I'm sure your question will be read by all those new gardeners that are chomping at the bit to get out there.

Good luck

• carolstropicals
    15 years ago

Hi, I planted pole beans last year and found that they were the most tempermental. I got maybe 10 beans. No More pole beans.
    I am in Houston and have not lost my summer tomatoes. They are still producing. 10 or 12 seedlings came up in my garden. I transferred them to a pot and will cover when cold.

• patsy_b
    15 years ago

I planted english peas this past week. They should do fine except if we get a couple weeks of very warm weather and then a hard freeze. Beans should not be planted now as the ground is too cold and the seeds are prone to rot in cold wet soil.
    Patsy

• little_dani
    15 years ago

I am harvesting peas- snow peas, sugar snaps- that I planted last October. I would probably wait until next month to put any out now.

Winter is really just now getting here, at least for us.

I plant pole beans on Good Friday. That is when Granny did it, and I have found that they are not one to rush. I have tried planting them early, trying to get ahead on them, and got nothing! Planted then, they have enough warmth to germinate nicely, and enough time before miserable hot weather comes in to stop the production.

You can start seeds of tomato now, but peppers like it hot. They usually like it to be 70 degrees to germinate, 90 degrees is better. They are real funny like that.

You can set out plants of broccoli, cabbage, cauliflowers, Brussels sprouts, and onions now, if you can work the soil where you are.

Good Luck!

Janie

• lisatx04
    15 years ago

Janie-If I am in zone 9, NW Houston, should I plant on Good Friday as well? Have never planted pole beans before so this is new for me.

Thanks?

• little_dani
    15 years ago

I would plant them on Good Friday, even in zone 8.

I found this today. I thought some of y'all might be interested. This lady is an excellent speaker- Janie

Houston: Dr. Carol Brouwer, County Extension Agent-Horticulture, will speak on Vegetable Gardening for the Houston area from 6:30 p.m. until 9 p.m., Tuesday, February 10, at Bass Pro Shops, Highway 288 at the Sam Houston Tollway, Houston. This free lecture, hosted by the Harris County Master Gardeners, is open to the public. For more information, go to http://hcmgap2.tamu.edu.

• seamommy
    15 years ago

I always like to refer to the almanac, it gives you the last frost date for your area, best dates to plant and the moon phases that are most propitious for planting above and below ground crops. Plant by the light of the moon for above ground and dark of the moon for below ground. And no-that doesn't mean that you have to plant at night, just on the days when the moon is in those phases. Cheryl

• clmcginnis76_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

i live in mississippi when should i plant