Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant pole beans/peas

Posted by element321 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 9, 09 at 0:04

I was thinking about planting some cool weather peas and beans. I can either sow outside or under grow lights in my garage until its time to plant.

Also, When should I sow my tomatoe and hot pepper seeds indoor. When should the seedlings put outside. These will all be growing in pots so they can be covered or moved inside if we have another cold spell.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant pole beans/peas

I'm up in Dallas area and I'm starting my tomatoes and peppers indoors now. Green beans and pole beans don't like any cool weather so they won't go in until much later. Peas (like english peas) on the other hand could probably be planted now......depends on if you think February will get real icy.

Zone 8 in Texas is quite large. My last average frost is March 16 so you can work around from there.

I plant my tomatoes out around the first of March but I wrap my CRW cages with plastic so if you don't plan on doing that then plant a couple of weeks later. Wind really dries out tomatoes so if your area is prone to that consider finding something to block it. I use old wood shingles but cardboard would do. Just put it in the ground a foot or so from the plant on the side the wind generally comes from.

Onions will be showing up in bunches too about now so if you plan on planting those be on the lookout. Seed potatoes will show up about the middle of February and keep a lookout for asparagus too. Those roots show up sometime soon too.

Some of this info won't necessarily apply to you but I'm sure your question will be read by all those new gardeners that are chomping at the bit to get out there.

Good luck

o

Hi, I planted pole beans last year and found that they were the most tempermental. I got maybe 10 beans. No More pole beans.
I am in Houston and have not lost my summer tomatoes. They are still producing. 10 or 12 seedlings came up in my garden. I transferred them to a pot and will cover when cold.

o

I planted english peas this past week. They should do fine except if we get a couple weeks of very warm weather and then a hard freeze. Beans should not be planted now as the ground is too cold and the seeds are prone to rot in cold wet soil.
Patsy

o

I am harvesting peas- snow peas, sugar snaps- that I planted last October. I would probably wait until next month to put any out now.

Winter is really just now getting here, at least for us.

I plant pole beans on Good Friday. That is when Granny did it, and I have found that they are not one to rush. I have tried planting them early, trying to get ahead on them, and got nothing! Planted then, they have enough warmth to germinate nicely, and enough time before miserable hot weather comes in to stop the production.

You can start seeds of tomato now, but peppers like it hot. They usually like it to be 70 degrees to germinate, 90 degrees is better. They are real funny like that.

You can set out plants of broccoli, cabbage, cauliflowers, Brussels sprouts, and onions now, if you can work the soil where you are.

Good Luck!

Janie

o

Janie-If I am in zone 9, NW Houston, should I plant on Good Friday as well? Have never planted pole beans before so this is new for me.

Thanks?

o

I would plant them on Good Friday, even in zone 8.

I found this today. I thought some of y'all might be interested. This lady is an excellent speaker- Janie

Houston: Dr. Carol Brouwer, County Extension Agent-Horticulture, will speak on Vegetable Gardening for the Houston area from 6:30 p.m. until 9 p.m., Tuesday, February 10, at Bass Pro Shops, Highway 288 at the Sam Houston Tollway, Houston. This free lecture, hosted by the Harris County Master Gardeners, is open to the public. For more information, go to http://hcmgap2.tamu.edu.

o

I always like to refer to the almanac, it gives you the last frost date for your area, best dates to plant and the moon phases that are most propitious for planting above and below ground crops. Plant by the light of the moon for above ground and dark of the moon for below ground. And no-that doesn't mean that you have to plant at night, just on the days when the moon is in those phases. Cheryl

o

i live in mississippi when should i plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here