Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Granjenos

Posted by marcie_new z8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 19, 10 at 1:03

Hi guys I am looking for some granjenos I read that they grow wild? in the Laredo Texas area I would like to get some saplings or seeds willing to pay postage or exchange seeds, I have some hycianty bean seeds,castor beans seeds, mexican pride of barbedos seeds,angel trumpet dble yellow seeds single white datura seeds. anyone? Please, thanks Marcie_new

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Granjenos

Marcie, I've got a few seeds of that. If you want them, click on my user name to go to my page and email me.

o

What is it???

o

Celtis pallida, also called Spiny Hackberry...the one with the little orange berries. Oops, I should have said click on My Page by my user name.

o

Its an edible type of berry its orange in color. sort of like a tree-bush.

o

Okay -- thanks y'all! When I googled 'granjenos' what came up was mostly in Spanish lol ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Celtis pallida, or Granjenos

o

Good job Roselee!! I apreciate this link. Yes it has mostly spanish names BUT the description is in english.Since you are in the sw.area have you seen this plant? any baby seedlings? I think I have some seeds coming.But the saplings will not hurt. Thanks Marcie

o

I live in Rockport, and over on Airport Road, I've seen two trees that bare little orange fruit every year around Christmas. I stopped one day and couldn't get to the fruit because the tree is about 12' tall, but I pulled a leaf thinking that it would have a citrus smell. No way. So I've been wondering what kind of tree it is, and I think I know now. I'll run by there in the next day or two to check it out. If there are any babies or fruit laying around, I'll get them and send them off to you.

o

Itcollins1949, if you have/find any extra, I sure would be interested in it also. Maybe we can work a deal. I appologize for stepping on your thread, Marcie.- Mara

o

I'll go down there tomorrow and see if it is indeed this plant. I sure have never seen anything like it before.

o

Hi 1tcollins 1949 Thanks , hope you find some! I will pay you postage or exchange something, Thanks a bunch!! Wantonamara no apologie nesssesary!! This is such a great site to be a member, its all about sharing and growing and friendship. Hope we both get lucky!!! I already got 3 seeds I just hope they sprout for me.1tcollins Please be careful and don't get hurt take someone with you even if is just for company. Marcie

o

I got my plant from the San Antonio area years ago...a plant rescue. People would be surprised what grows native in S.A. in the few places left that are wild. The area I got mine from was developed. But I know they grow in that Medina River park on the southside. One year I went to a plant outing there and they were all over there. They tend to be near creeks and rivers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here