Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Cohune Palm on Padre Island

Posted by alyx_c none (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 1:23

Has anyone in Texas grown a cohun palm from seed? I brought back 3 from Belize and I'm trying "things". I have heard it can take 2 yrs. They have been in dirt and in dirt/sand for 14 mo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Cohune Palm on Padre Island

The Palm Society of South Texas reports that it is possible to grow Cohune Palm in the warmest parts of the state. I would guess that growing from seed is the only propagation method.

Ty

Here is a link that might be useful: Palms for South Texas

o

Thanks for your respose! By any chance do they say how to do it? I have not been able to find much info on growing them from seed. I picked them in a dense rain forest close to the bank of the brackish river. My Mom put one in a pot with normal dirt and the top barely covered. I put two in the sand on Padre Island for a yr and nothing happened so I took them out and put them in a pot with a mixture of dirt and sand (found that somewhere). I leave it in full sun and now with these cloudy day s and cold I have it inside with a growlight. I keep the soil moist as suggested also. When I took them out of the sand I took them to a nursery and was told they seeds were still viable. I'd been heartbroken if none of them grew because I did not do something right. If they do start to grow I plan to put them back in the yard on the IS which is all sand, of course.

o

What I found didn't give any additional information.

You ought to join the Palm Society of South Texas. Its members are very knowledgeable and meetings are held each month in a different location.

Ty

Here is a link that might be useful: Palm Society of South Texas

o

Thanks! I'll do that. That has been my issue also, no real info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here