Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing a Tamarind Tree in Texas?

Posted by alyx_c none (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 1:46

I am currently growing a Tamarind tree on Padre Island, TX . I have them back home in my yard and they grow to be very large. Has anyone else ever grown one here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing a Tamarind Tree in Texas?

Not yet, but I want to give one a try. I'm always looking for tropical fruits that will produce well in our xeriscaped (by default) yard. Does your tree have sweet or sour pods?

Ty

o

Hi Ty,
This one I don't know yet as I started it fall 2011 in a pot in San Antonio since I knew any cold while it was too young would kill it. I planted it this spring on Padre Island since they love the sand and it took off. The seed is of unknown origins but I think from Puerto Rico. I do have a tree back home which is sweet. I forgot the seeds this past spring so I have to get them this year. I happen to like both as I grew-up eating the sour ones.

If it does OK with this cold we are having now I will be looking for a home for it this spring before it gets any bigger. :-)

Depending on where you are in TX have you tried Grape trees. I have two of them going on the Island but people don't seem to knowng they can eat the grapes. :-)

o

I know of someone growing them up in Sugarland.
What are you calling a grape tree?
Jabuticaba? They grow great in South and coastal Texas and produce fruit.
The lychee in the front yard is blooming. It is currently in a really big pot as recommended by the nursery it came from.
Tally HO!

o

I'm pretty sure the "grape trees" mentioned in the previous post are Sea Grapes (Coccoloba uvifera). The fruits can be made into jam, but are usually not eaten.

Ty

o

Yes, the grapes I am talking about are Sea Grapes. I don't know why they would not be eaten. I have been eating them my whole life. :-)

My tamarind tree is doing beautiful.

o

You guys are so much warmer than us. It males us northerner (z 8 and 7 texans jealous of the plants you grow. LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here