Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Sweet Broom plants...

Posted by clinda62 z9 TX (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 9, 09 at 2:03

Would anyone happen to know where I can find Sweet Broom plants in the Houston or Austin area? Or even better anyone have cuttings to share?

Thanks,
Clinda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Sweet Broom plants...

I have seen them when their bloom time is being sold at Barton Springs Nursery in Austin. They will order plants for you and bring them in on an order. Give them a call. They are in the West Lake area on Bee Caves Rd. .

o

• Posted by bobbi_p z8/9 Cypress, TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 10, 09 at 17:02

I purchased some a few years back from one of the box stores (Lowes or Home Depot). They didn't survive the summer heat, but since they'd sold them to me as one of their "guaranteed" perennials, I was able to replace them the following year for free!

o

So many people have said their Sweet Broom plants did not survive long, I wouldn't recommend it. I only bought one, which died within months for no reason I could figure out. That's when I looked it up and found so many comments about these plants suddenly dying for no apparent reason.

o

Hummmmmmmmmmmm, guess I'll pass on Sweet Broom. Not a good time to be throwing money away on plants that won't survive. Thanks all for your input! I'll stick to my native plants!

Clinda

o

Yep pretty but my mom had the same problem. Cooked in the summer sun.

o

I had three ---- none of which survived. Not a good plant for my area, IMHO !!!

o

• Posted by trsinc Zone 8 TX (Central T (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 12, 09 at 18:16

I also had one that croaked on me. It lasted about a year and a half, but died that summer we had temps up to 115. It had afternoon shade, so maybe that is why it lasted as long as it did. Nothing beats the fragrance, though. Smells like lemon ice cream.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here