Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acharles331

Question about citrus container soil mix for HOT climate

acharles331
10 years ago

I have been reading multiple post on the subject of soils for citrus in containers and how drainage is what you are aiming for when growing citrus in containers. My question is, would it be to an advantage especially for those of us in warmer climate (Houston, TX) to maybe not make the soil so drain friendly in order to retain water a bit better during the hotter summer days? I recently purchased a Meyer Lemon and a Persian Lime which look very healthy and i intend on keeping them like so. I do plan on keeping them in containers so anyone with a bit of experience with citrus in container, can i hear your two cents on the matter. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

See Al's 5-1-1 mix in the container forum. Well draining soil is what tree roots love the most. The only downside is that you will have to water it everyday during hot dry spell in the summer.

I take it that you don't have space to grow them in the ground? They do pretty well at my mom's in Houston. Too many oranges so we just give them away.

• acharles331
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did read about the 5-1-1 mix but my concern was that with better draining soil i would have to water a lot more often in the hot summer months. I do have the space to plant in the ground but i would like to have the luxury or moving the trees around and out of the hot sun whenever temperatures here in houston reach the high 90s and 100!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Well, my mom's two citrus trees in the ground do get a lot of sun so and a lot less watering once established.

I use Roottrapper bags that has white covering that would keep media cool from sun exposure. They also have knitted fabric at the bottom that would let fine roots escape into the ground. Yeah, I've had to water dozens of containers once a day in the summer but I get good growth out of it. It doesn't really take much of your time if you only grow a couple trees. Maybe just a few minutes each day.

I know what you mean. I went through the same thing wondering about it when I started it years ago.

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

I have about 6 citrus trees of various sizes in pots. I just used the potting soil I had. I also used the bagged orgainic citrus fert. I found at my local hardware store. I had about 30 lemons this fall and have meyer lemon flowers on a plan that was chewed down to the roots last winter. I also have had a nice yield of kumquats. All are in pots and they are in part shade because that is what I have. Then I put them on roller pot holders and roll them in and out of the garage in winter. It seems I water once or twice per week in the hottest driest part of summer.

• texasflip
    10 years ago

Citrus do great in the Houston heat and humidity and full sun is usually fine for them. They also do well with the heavy clay soils.

But for trees/shrubs in pots, my "philosophy" is to use faster draining soil, but keep the pots in a shallow tray of water. That way the roots stay aerated but the plant has access to water most of the time.

• insteng
    10 years ago

If you are keeping them in pots I would also use the recommended potting soil and just use a tray under them in the summer to help insure the water is available when they need it. I have mine planted in the ground now and once I planted them in the ground they grew twice as fast. I give away oranges and tangerines to all my neighbors and friends and still can't get rid of enough.