Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting cannas

Posted by ladysmith94 7 TX (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 11, 11 at 5:54

I am new to Texas gardening - west Texas to be more precise. I need to know when is the best time to move a bed of cannas. They are where I want to plant something else and I have another good spot for them, plus they are pretty thick.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting cannas

The lady I got my cannas from thinned and dug hers in the fall, maybe September? October? That way the cannas had fall and winter to settle into the beds at my house.

Maybe if you cut a large rootball for the cannas with a shovel right now, then left them in the orginal place for a few weeks so they could grow some new roots inside the cut area, then transplanted the cannas to their new bed?

I'm no expert though. Hope someone more knowledgeable answers.

o

Ladysmith, welcome to the Texas forum!

It's hard to hurt cannas. They can ge dug up now and separated before planting in another spot. You can just break the the corms apart with no harm done.

I've moved the corms at all times of the year without a problem. If moved in high summer the foliage springs right back. If moved in winter they will lie dormant until warm weather. The stores sell canna corms either laying loose in big boxes or in plastic bags.

Another tip: when a stalk is done blooming just cut it back to the bottom and the corm will put up another blooming stalk. I love cannas!

o

Thank you both for your responses. I love cannas too, but have not grown them before in Texas. They were already here when we moved to this house last summer. I was busy this fall with some other things - planting new flower beds, and the cannas got neglected. I want to plant lilies where the cannas are now and have other places crying for sturdy, hardy plants like the cannas are. Just as soon as the weather warms back up enough for me to be out there working, I will get the new bed ready and move them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here