Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frioswimmer

North Austin Plant Swap

Texan Gal
11 years ago

I am trying to organize a plant swap in my community of Wells Branch. I did this last fall, without asking here first, and accidentally put it on the same date as the Buda swap.

A quick search of the forum, and I did not see a date for the Buda swap in 2013. I did see that SAPS will be April 6th 20123.

I was thinking to hold ours April 13th. Does anyone know of any major plant events, or local swaps this would conflict with, being April 13th?

Thanks for your help!

Heather

Comments (16)

• prsb
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Heather,

I live in Cedar Park and a swap at Wells Branch would be very accessible to me. I went to the Buda one last Fall and it took me an hour and a half to get there. I met some amazing plant enthusiats and came back very satisfied with many cuttings and seeds. But I think I would prefer and more likely to make it to one in North Austin.

I forget names now but there was another lady from Cedar Park at that swap.

Pebbles

• hannahdesigns25
    11 years ago

Hello, I live in central area, I would be interested. If you or anyone you know would like to swap this month of Feb. I have Different kinds of Tomato plants, Eggplant, Bell pepper, Broccoli and Jalapeno pepper plant. I started way to many from seeds awhile ago. And now i have a excess of plants.
    they will be ready for planting for 1st of March if not earlier.

• prsb
    11 years ago

Hannah,

I could use a eggplant and bell pepper plant or 2. Winter sowed for the first time this year, started ridge gourd seeds. They are small yet and no idea if they'll transplant well, but I can give you some to try out.

I can swap for seeds if you'd like. Other than what you've already started I have okra, cantaloupe, winter squash. Don't know the variety names but they've all come from plants that did good in Austin.

Btw I didn't see any activity on this thread so guessing not many interested for a north austin swap.

Pebble

• hannahdesigns25
    11 years ago

I'm new to Tx Gardening so I really dont know what ridge gourds are? Do they take a lot of space? I have a 10x20 Garden plot at Sunshine Community Garden(N. Lamar).
    Anyway I'm so excited to find someone on this website that is willing to swap. I also have different varieties of tomato plants if your interested.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I think the Buda swap is in april, but not sure of the date. Roselee might have that info

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I haven't heard yet. I'll check with Charlotte who organizes the Buda, which is now held in Manchaca, swap.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Charlotte says the date for the Manchaca swap in south Austin (formerly held in Buda) has been set for April 20, 2013.

The Community Garden at Manchaca UMC where the swaps are now held wants the swap to be part of their Earth Day Celebration. That sounds exciting! Charlotte will be posting more about it very soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of the April 23, 2012 swap showing the Community Gardens

• hannahdesigns25
    11 years ago

I was hoping for something earlier. the plants I have should already be in the ground before that time.

• Texan Gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If anyone is interested, I attend the monthly Wells Branch Garden Guild, (again in North Austin) and we have a swap at each meeting. Some members were swapping spring veg locally via our google group forum.

If anyone is would like to attend, our next meeting is tomorrow:

February Garden Guild Meeting will be held next Saturday the 16th at 11:00 AM.

Travis County Master Gardener Cheryl Harrison will do a presentation for the Wells Branch Garden Guild on "Basics ofLandscape Design" Cheryl is a very experienced gardener, landscape designer, and speaker. The meeting will be held at the Rec. Center, 3000 Shoreline Dr.
    Everyone is welcome.
    Come at 10:30 AM for swap plants, share seeds and socialize.

• Texan Gal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello all! I am so excited about our North Austin Plant Swap tomorrow! About a dozen members of our local garden guild said they'd be coming. I can't wait to sit and talk plants with fellow gardnerers!

Tomorrow, April 13th from 9am to noon, we are having our North Austin Plant Swap in Wells Branch, outside the community gardens across from the Elementary school.

The address is the NorthEast corner of Single Trace and Town Hill Drive. At the bottom of this post, I have included a link to a google map that shows where we are meeting. It is a parking lot next to a green field, outside our community gardens.

I hope you can make it!

Heather Johnson
    cell 210-787-6843 in case anyone has any questions or needs directions

Here is a link that might be useful: Map to North Austin Plant Swap

• Texan Gal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is my list of items I'm bringing tomorrow:

1. I have six fairy roses in 4" pots: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/earthkindroses/cultivars/the-fairy/
    My fairy rose is in a place I do not water, and has spread, and bloomed prolifically. When I trimmed it in February, I found it had air layered and I potted up the baby plants then.
    drought tolerant, earthkind rose, pink blooms, that bloomed all year for me this last year. Dwarf rose that gets 4' and 4'wide, eventually. Mine took five years to reach this size.

2. I also have two large Texas Primrose Jasmine plants. (My original plant came from a SAPSwap back in 2005!) I was in Countryside Nursery this week, and they wanted $25 for a smaller plant than these I potted up a couple of months ago.
    http://www.countrysideaustin.com/2010/05/primrose-jasmine/
    drought tolerant, sun or part shade, but blooms better with more sun. Will grow to 8' if you don't keep it trimmed. I keep mine 3' tall, and let them spread along fenceline.

3. Next I have about a dozen John Fanick Phlox. http://www.plantdelights.com/Phlox-paniculata-John-Fanick-John-Fanick-Garden-Phlox/productinfo/7383/#.UWgryZPEqxU
    They get about a foot or so tall, drought tolerant, and are perrenial and return each spring. Once they reach full height and start blooming, they keep blooming through fall. Great plant! I love 'em, and plant 'em everywhere I can in my yard. Again, they need full sun to bloom best.
    My lil yard only has a few places with full sun. Otherwise it would be covered in this phlox!

4. I also have several 4" pots of silver ponyfoot, Dichondra argentea: http://austinnativelandscaping.com/dichondra-argentea-silver-pony-foot-dichondra-kidneyweed/
    Another drought tolerant, does well in sun or shade, spreads well, and is a great ground cover. I love the silver color.

5. I have three cuttings, only potted up last week, of Black Spanish Grape vines.
    http://www.willisorchards.com/product/Black+Spanish+Bunch+Grape+Vine#.UWgtV5PEqxU
    My husband fell in love with the wine Dry Comal Creek vineyard makes with Black Spanish grapes, and dreams of making his own. One day.

6. I also have Apple mint. My British mother-in-law swears Apple Mint is the correct mint to use for mint sauce with lamb or pork.

7. I have Greek Oregano. Yum.

8. I also have a metal bird bath, that I'll pass onto a new home.

9. And I have a variety of bottles, and packages of organic garden solutions that I bought to solve a specific problem and have never cleared out. Due to husband's wanting his garage to be garden goods free, I am clearing out the excess! I have orange oil (multiple bottles), vinegar, thuricide, fox urine [bought to put on eaves to discourage squirrels chewing wood], etc. And that is what I noticed just glancing in the first box. I have four boxes and baskets like that. My husband may have a point about my garden hoarding! :)
    Also a few nonorganic things like miracle grow. Maybe unused because I try to be organic.

10. And more plants galore.

I am so sorry I couldn't make it to our SAPS swap last weekend. I am really looking forward to talking plants with my fellow gardeners tomorrow.
    Also, I will give a tour of our community garden, if anyone would like to check it out.

I can hardly wait for tomorrow!

TexanGal aka Heather

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Wow -- you have some GREAT things to trade! I'm sorry I won't be there, but I'm wishing you well. Let us know how it goes.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

She certainly does, Roselee, I would love to have some more phlox ...................... can never have too many, and the bird bath.........ummmmmm!!!

• Texan Gal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll let you know how it goes. Silly me, I'm still giddy like a child waiting for Christmas morning... so excited!

• Texan Gal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a great Plant Swap today! We had about 20 people and tons of plants. And someone posted about our Swap on Freecycle, and several poeple showed up because of that. Whoa.

Of the plants I came home with, I am especially excited about my Sunberry and with my White Alpine Strawberry. When I looked Sunberry up online I found: "Sunberry’s fruits are blue, slightly sweet and slightly larger than a pea. Said by its admirers to rival and even surpass blueberries. They can be used in baking and are delicious mixed into vanilla ice-cream.”

I am very excited to grow it and taste for myself.

Thanks guys for "listening" to me and being supportive.

Heather

Thanks again everyone for a successful swap!

Heather

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Thanks for the good report with some interesting details. So glad to hear the swap went well and you had good attendance. Aren't plant swaps wonderful!?!!