Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safflower?

Posted by maden_theshade 8 - Austin (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 13, 12 at 9:00

Anyone tried growing safflowers? Most of the info online is geared towards agricultural production. They look pretty!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Safflower?

Imagine my surprise when I opened my Feb/Mar issue of Birds and Blooms and found an article on growing safflower. I had never even thought of it before, but it sounds like an interesting thing to do. This article said they don't grow as quickly as sunflowers.

o

I'm curious if you can start these indoors ahead of planting time outside? The B&B article mentioned a taproot and I thought the root might preclude planting early.

Any ideas?

o

That same article is what spurred my interest! Sounds like they come up easily if they are sprouting under bird feeders. I'm wondering how much shade they can take, and if they are fairly self-sufficient. Maybe that long tap root helps there. I have to do prickly plants out of the way, which means they don't get watered regularly.

o

I saw the article as well! Can I just buy safflower seed like I would get to use for feeding birds and plant that?

o

Based on the amount of sprouts we find under our two bird feeders (we feed exclusively safflower seeds, usually purchased at Lowe's, our cardinal family loves it and it doesn't attract the nuisance pests), I would imagine that this can be grown pretty easily. :)

o

I bought a small bag of safflower seeds for the birdfeeder at Walmart. I mix it with sunflower seeds and get sprouts under the feeder. The seedlings are supposed to look similar, so I don't know what I have yet. I've let a few stay where they are...maybe I'll find out soon!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here