Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DFW loses another organic nursery

Posted by barkingdogwoods 8a-DFW (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 19, 11 at 9:06

In the spring rush of pre-inventory sale notices, I received one from Green Mama's, and thought I'd go see what fun things they have. When I got there, the place looked empty. I spoke with one of the employees, and indeed Green Mama's is closing.

As I was checking out, I spoke with the owner at length, sharing my distress at the loss of the only all-organic nursery in north Tarrant County. She's looking for a buyer, but anticipating that the bank will take the business. I only hope that she saves all the beautiful plantings around the building - they'd be a shame to lose.

A sad day indeed.

Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Mama's

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DFW loses another organic nursery

ahhh, that is sad

o

I got the same notice and had a sinking feeling when I read it. When I was there a couple months ago one of the employees told me how dead it has been there and that no one was coming in and things were looking bad for them. I am distressed because much of my garden came from there, especially the natives, and they always had such nice stock. And the ambiance was like walking thru a garden and picking out plants. Loved the place - I am very sad to see them go.

o

When I was talking with the owner, I told her she should have a "dig-a-plant" day for customers to buy/dig what's in the ground. Why leave it for the bank?

When Tinker's Grove (was Redenta's in Colleyville) closed, the landlord wouldn't let them dig up anything that had been planted. Of course he didn't keep anything watered, so it immediately started looking bad. Fast forward to last year when they were leasing out the building and bulldosed all the plants except those along the sidewalk. What a waste!

o

GASP...barkingdogwoods....I still mourn the loss of Redenta's in Colleyville. That was my favorite place to go. It wasn't ever the same after the sold it and I stopped going. That makes me so very sad that it's been destroyed...Sigh. I hope they at least kept the great tree...

o

OMG, I'm so bummed. I love Green Mama's. I also really miss Redenta's but at least having Green Mamas's eased the pain, but now....

Laurie

o

This is terrible!!!! I have bought many plants from Green Mama's!!! The owner lives out west of FW like I do! She is a sweetheart!!! SOOOO SAD!!!
Do y'all know there is a Redenta's in Arlington? I found it this past summer. It is off Green Oaks & Arkansas. I also visit a local nursery near me in Weatherford that carries lots of natives called Stuart's Nursery. They are very helpful & knowledgable for what survives in our Texas heat!

o

EEK! That is so sad. I wish this wouldn't happen.

o

@imabirdnut - I do visit the Redenta's in Arlington, but that's so far from north Tarrant county. :( While I'm down there I usually stop by Weston Gardens in Bloom, to see what's performing in the demo garden.

@pjtexgirl - too bad we can't all get together and buy the store...

Lin

o

Lin, don't tempt me!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here