Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickadee_42us

who enjoyed the nice weekend weather?

chickadee_42us
12 years ago

Unfortunatly I was out of town and did not get to enjoy it at home cleaning out beds or laying down new mulch and yesterday was spent in the house taking the Christmas tree down.

I have two peonies that need to be transplanted due to their shady lifestyle - I have been told to transplant in February and surprisingly I have elephant ears still going under the same shady area. What's the difference with some elephant ears 'spreading' and others not though both bulbs purchased from same box?

Comments (15)

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I got a lot done over the weekend. No clue on your other questions.

I did notice lots of my cannas that were cut back in November have put up new growth. Some daffs are also coming up.

It was really nice weather over the weekend!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

We had a great weekend, raking and shredding the last of the leaves (hopefully) and spreading compost. The weather was fantastic!

• melvalena
    12 years ago

PK,
    Now that you've finished that chore.. its time to go throw a handful of alfalfa pellets around the base of anything that is green and growing right now. :)

Water it in, or just wait for some rain or snow to fall and melt. :)

• chickadee_42us
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cold this morning - can't wait for this weekend to be able to get out and see if anything is peeking through.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

Melvalena,
    I spread alfalfa pellets in October, do you think it's ok to put more down already?

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I don't think it will hurt. Can you still see the alfalfa you put down in Oct? If not, I'd say do it again.

I did alfalfa tea back in Sept/Oct ish on all my perennials. Then over the past weekend put it all around my winter annuals, which I didn't have planted during tea time.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

I don't see much of it left. I love the way alfalfa smells!

• chickadee_42us
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I go and attempt to find the alfafa pellets and am so unsure as to which what I am suppose to purchse. I know it's not the larger pellet for horses but then it seems to fall into a mixed feed bag.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I get mine at a farm/ranch supply.
    Its what you would normally feed rabbits. I think a 50lb bag is $20? Keep it where it won't get wet and use it as you need it.

Scatter the pellets, don't pile them up around the base of plants. They swell up when wet and if you have a huge pile of them you'll get a hard shell of solid alfalfa that takes a long time to dissolve.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

we get ours at the feed store $10 for 40 lbs. Rabbit feed, I think is what it's labeled as.

• chickadee_42us
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Great temperatures are predicted for today and I am stuck working in downtown Dallas!!! argh.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

So sorry Chickadee!
    There will be more nice days in the future and they might even land on weekends for you!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I was out in My back canyon clearing undergrowth and making swales out of the slash to hold back the run off soil and leaves.. I found three baby madrone trees, two baby red buds. I put cages around them to protect them from the deer.

I also worked on a door project outdoors. It is looking like rain outside now. Good burning weather tomorrow. It was a delight to be outside , but I am there a lot.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    12 years ago

My boyfriend and I burned a huge pile of debris and a couple of old stumps. We brought chairs out in the pasture with the golf cart and sat there til 2am, with the light of the beautiful huge fire, the full moon and my miniature horses gathering around. Weather was mild and we enjoyed it til we could barely stay awake. Had fun working on burning more stumps today. Now its raining.....but we sure enjoyed the weekend! I have been planting some potted roses and am going to start mulching when it dries out again. I cringe waiting for 25 degrees to hit....so am making the most of the great weather and hope everyone else did the same!
    Judith

• chickadee_42us
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lovely weekend. Spend some time outside and accomplised getting a few tasks completed. Roadtrip saw a lot of brush getting burned. One was an erect tree's core burning 25 or so feet up around 9:00 PM. I was wondering what they are going to do when/if it breaks and drops instead of tumbling down??
    Back to rain - not complaining one single bit, we need it for the summer dry or people will not have drinking water.