o
North east texas fragrant shrubs

Posted by Dmanns tx (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 14, 12 at 9:34

Are there any that grow in the shade?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: North east texas fragrant shrubs

Not fragrant, but a veriagated lacecap hydrangea, don't recall the name of it, but it's available around the DFW area every Spring. The leaves are green and white, the more shade the more white they are, and the lacecap blooms heads tend to be lavender. It's pretty in the shade because of the white on the leaves. Oak leaf hydrangea, also not frangrant, does well in shade and puts out huge pannicles of white flowers. I have several of them around my yard and they've all gotten to be about 6-8 feet tall in the past 10 years.

I have a lot of shade and would love to have more fragrant plants, but being west of Fort Worth and the weather and soil what they are around here, just to have something that blooms in the shade is pretty fantastic. My few sunny areas are for the roses, so when I want to sniff, that's where I have to go. Cheryl

o

I think Mock Orange will grow in that area. I had one and it smelled wonderful! There are different varieties available. It likes a little bit of shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mock Orange

o

You need to check with your local extension agent and brows the web just by typing in fragrant shrubs with your local area in the search. This was just one quick look;

Summersweet
Summersweet (Clethra alnifolia), also known as sweet pepperbush, is a fragrant shrub that displays small white spiked flowers with dark green foliage that turns yellow to orange during the fall season. Summersweet thrives in shaded areas and prefers moist or wet, slightly acid soil. It tolerates dry and well-drained soil as well as salt. Often used as a border plant, summersweet shrubs grow to a height of 4 to 8 feet, according to the University of Illinois Extension.

Azaleas
Azalea shrubs (Rhododendron spp.) display flowers in hues of pink, rose and white. The cultivar Northern Lights is a fragrant, hardy azalea shrub that thrives in shade and cool temperatures. Azaleas have shallow roots, so well-drained soil is key to avoiding overwatering, which can lead to damage. Azaleas also prefer acid soil with a pH of 4.5 to 6.0. Mulch such as pine needles or pine bark can help keep adequate moisture in the soil and once decomposed, will add organic nutrients to the soil that help keep azaleas vigorous, according to the Clemson University Extension. Azalea shrubs grow to a height of 5 to 8 feet.
Carolina Allspice

Carolina allspice shrubs (Calycanthus floridus), also known as sweetshrub, display brown-maroon flowers with dark green foliage that becomes yellow during the fall season. The Carolina allspice plant emits a fruit-like fragrance as do its crushed leaves. This shrub thrives in both sun and full shade but is known for growing to a greater height when kept in the shade. Carolina allspice prefers moist, well-drained soil. It tolerates alkaline and wet soil. With proper growth, Carolina allspice grows to a height of 6 to 8 feet, according to the University of Illinois Extension.

I know these may not be good in your area but with the help of your extension agent you should be able to find more than enough fragrant shrubs for your area and soil.

Paul

o

Winter honeysuckle is a beautiful graceful large shrub with very fragrant flowers with a scent that wafts. Mine is blooming right now. It's drought tolerant and will grow in sun or shade.

This is my bush a few years ago to give you an idea of its shape. It's evergreen in San Antonio:

This is a more recent photo:

The honey scented blooms are not showy, but boy do they smell good:

Mock orange is a great suggestion, but buy it while blooming so you know if it's a scented variety. I have one that is and one that isn't.

They have a long spring blooming period and fragrant or not they are very pretty with their snow white blossoms and yellow stamens. The fragrant one has a scent somewhat like gardenias to my nose:

Some of the blooms are semi-double:

I find both of these shrubs easy to grow and very satisfying.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter honeysuckle on Google

o
RE: Shade: North east texas fragrant shrubs

I forgot to mention that I agree with the comment above in that Mock orange will take some shade. Mine is growing in bright shade under the canopy of a limbed up pecan tree.

o

• Posted by timh z8 E.Tx. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 29, 12 at 22:59

My two favorits... Sweet Olive and Bannana Magnolia. There should be a law that every garden has these. I have a Sasanqua Camelia called "Scentsational" that has a nice, spicey clove scent. Bit hard to find though.

Once you have smelled Sweet Olive it haunts you. It is the smell of vanilla and canned Apricots swirled with cream. That description came from an employee of mine when I used to be a commercial grower.
Bannana Magnolia is almost freakish! Strong scent of artificial bannana flavoring. When people visit me and it is in bloom, they are stunned. Both of these do best in a semi-shaded location or dappled light. I have grown both in full sun and they are fine too. Deep shade is ok but growth tends to be thin. BTW..both are evergreen.

Most Lowes ect. will cary Sweet Olive. Bannana Magnolia will usually only be found at better garden centers. Try to locate one with a grower tag from "Flowerwood Nursery"- they grow the best cultivar (there are a couple of different ones floating around in the trade-actually they are prob not cultivars). Both of these are very powefull in the fragrance dept.
I really like fragrant shrubs. Things like Azaleas that do not have any scent are like a very pretty girl...with two noses. Just not quite right lol

o

Thanks timh! My sweet olive is covered with blooms now and I came on to mention it and you beat me to it :-)

Banana Magnolia sounds intriging. Does anyone in alkaline soil grow it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here