dmanns_gw

North east texas fragrant shrubs

Dmanns
12 years ago

Are there any that grow in the shade?

Comments (7)

• seamommy
    12 years ago

Not fragrant, but a veriagated lacecap hydrangea, don't recall the name of it, but it's available around the DFW area every Spring. The leaves are green and white, the more shade the more white they are, and the lacecap blooms heads tend to be lavender. It's pretty in the shade because of the white on the leaves. Oak leaf hydrangea, also not frangrant, does well in shade and puts out huge pannicles of white flowers. I have several of them around my yard and they've all gotten to be about 6-8 feet tall in the past 10 years.

I have a lot of shade and would love to have more fragrant plants, but being west of Fort Worth and the weather and soil what they are around here, just to have something that blooms in the shade is pretty fantastic. My few sunny areas are for the roses, so when I want to sniff, that's where I have to go. Cheryl

• maden_theshade
    12 years ago

I think Mock Orange will grow in that area. I had one and it smelled wonderful! There are different varieties available. It likes a little bit of shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mock Orange

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

You need to check with your local extension agent and brows the web just by typing in fragrant shrubs with your local area in the search. This was just one quick look;

Summersweet
    Summersweet (Clethra alnifolia), also known as sweet pepperbush, is a fragrant shrub that displays small white spiked flowers with dark green foliage that turns yellow to orange during the fall season. Summersweet thrives in shaded areas and prefers moist or wet, slightly acid soil. It tolerates dry and well-drained soil as well as salt. Often used as a border plant, summersweet shrubs grow to a height of 4 to 8 feet, according to the University of Illinois Extension.

Azaleas
    Azalea shrubs (Rhododendron spp.) display flowers in hues of pink, rose and white. The cultivar Northern Lights is a fragrant, hardy azalea shrub that thrives in shade and cool temperatures. Azaleas have shallow roots, so well-drained soil is key to avoiding overwatering, which can lead to damage. Azaleas also prefer acid soil with a pH of 4.5 to 6.0. Mulch such as pine needles or pine bark can help keep adequate moisture in the soil and once decomposed, will add organic nutrients to the soil that help keep azaleas vigorous, according to the Clemson University Extension. Azalea shrubs grow to a height of 5 to 8 feet.
    Carolina Allspice

Carolina allspice shrubs (Calycanthus floridus), also known as sweetshrub, display brown-maroon flowers with dark green foliage that becomes yellow during the fall season. The Carolina allspice plant emits a fruit-like fragrance as do its crushed leaves. This shrub thrives in both sun and full shade but is known for growing to a greater height when kept in the shade. Carolina allspice prefers moist, well-drained soil. It tolerates alkaline and wet soil. With proper growth, Carolina allspice grows to a height of 6 to 8 feet, according to the University of Illinois Extension.

I know these may not be good in your area but with the help of your extension agent you should be able to find more than enough fragrant shrubs for your area and soil.

Paul

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Winter honeysuckle is a beautiful graceful large shrub with very fragrant flowers with a scent that wafts. Mine is blooming right now. It's drought tolerant and will grow in sun or shade.

This is my bush a few years ago to give you an idea of its shape. It's evergreen in San Antonio:

This is a more recent photo:

The honey scented blooms are not showy, but boy do they smell good:

Mock orange is a great suggestion, but buy it while blooming so you know if it's a scented variety. I have one that is and one that isn't.

They have a long spring blooming period and fragrant or not they are very pretty with their snow white blossoms and yellow stamens. The fragrant one has a scent somewhat like gardenias to my nose:

Some of the blooms are semi-double:

I find both of these shrubs easy to grow and very satisfying.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter honeysuckle on Google

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention that I agree with the comment above in that Mock orange will take some shade. Mine is growing in bright shade under the canopy of a limbed up pecan tree.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Thanks timh! My sweet olive is covered with blooms now and I came on to mention it and you beat me to it :-)

Banana Magnolia sounds intriging. Does anyone in alkaline soil grow it?