Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning vitex and desert willow

Posted by allen_newbie 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 4, 09 at 9:38

Hi,

I planted 2 vitex and 1 desert willow in the summer. One vitex is 4 ft tall and full, the other and desert willow are about the same height but not full.

I want to shape them up to become small trees with an upright habit. Should prune them this winter or give it a skip this time as they are pretty small? Their main branches are about 1/2-3/4 inches in diameter. Is it better to start when they are this small or give them a chance to grow a little?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning vitex and desert willow

I'd wait until the end of February - you don't want to force new growth just yet. You can also put cuttings (5-6" long) into potting medium and maybe have extra plants grow. Good luck.

o

I think the desert willow would be better to wait until it is larger, unless you want to just do minor pruning of some small branches.

When you do want to prune, prune in the late fall, after the first frost has finished off the leaves for the season.

You can still prune before the first growth shows up, though.

o

I agree that the desert willow can wait for pruning, but I started pruning my vitex trees at a very young age. The vitex have been robust growers and want to grow more shrub-like than I want to have. I remove spent flowerheads after bloom and find they will repeat bloom if deadheaded. In February (when I prune my roses) I remove low branches and any new growth suckering from the ground or along the main trunks of the tree. I selected 3-5 trunks on each of the two trees, forming a nice multi-trunk small tree.
molly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here