Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Relocating Myrtle and Rose bush

Posted by texasgal2 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 25, 11 at 9:40

I need to move a Crape Myrtle and a rose bush and I want to know if this is the right time to do that or should I wait until spring. Thought it would be better to have them 'wake up 'in their new location but would like comments please.
Thanks,TexasGal2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Relocating Myrtle and Rose bush

I would think you would be fine since they are "sleeping". I just moved several silverado sages right before that arctic snap we had and they have done okay. I did water well and mulch before the snap. Gonna be moving some other "sleeping" plants as well, including a few rose bushes. I am curious what the other responses will be.

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 27, 11 at 16:31

I grow alot of roses. This is my favorite time to move them. I do try to do it when there is not a temperature drop to 22 or thereabouts at night. Dig them, put a bit of bone meal or superphosphate in the hole, mix the soil up well with compost or whatever good kind of soil you like, "mud" the rose in [soak it good after it is in the hole to get out air pockets, mulch it well - I like to hill up chopped leaves or whatever mulch you use as far up the canes as I can. When I plant bareroot roses, a good trick is to make a collar out of folded newspapers and staple it together, put it over the rose and fill that up with chopped leaves or mulch - leave til the rose start showing signs of grown and slowly let the mulch fall away. One of the biggest problems with newly planted roses in winter is the wind - it dries out the canes. Piling wet newspapers around the rose is helpful if you dont want to make the collar. Usually the rain will keep it watered after that. DONT prune at time of transplanting. Wait til your normal pruning time to do that - ours is Valentines Day, but you can do it later. When spring comes and its time to grow, they will be all set and ready. Transplanting when they are ready to start growing isnt good. Good luck!

o
RE: Relocating Crepe Myrtles

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 27, 11 at 16:34

Forgot about the crepe myrtle....just dig them up, stick them in the ground [you might have to root prune them], water them in and let them grow. They are easy and can be transplanted most any time - but now is the best.

o

Thanks so much, Ladybug and Alameda. Sorry, I couldn't get back here sooner. I do appreciate your help. This move should work just fine.

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 19:21

I moved a Crepe Myrtle 2 yrs ago and I am still digging up sprouts from the old location.. Get as much as you can of the roots..

Kylie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here