Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greatnan

Desert Willow

greatnan
9 years ago

We recently purchased a home in Liberty Hill and there's a desert willow planted in the front yard. This poor thing has been neglected and wondered what I could do to help make it healthy. Taking it down is not an option, the former owners mom's ashes are buried beneath it.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thank you.

Comments (16)

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

I wonder if the ashes have made the soil too alkaline?

You might google Howard Garrett's "sick tree treatment".

It's not a product, it's a process (whose steps I can't remember), involving various things in a certain order.

• greatnan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you but they buried the ashes about 12 yrs ago and doubt they would be causing problems. Thank you for telling me about Howard Garrett's link.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

What symptoms of neglect are worrisome to you?

• greatnan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mostly that it had very few leaves and maybe just 2 or 3 flowers. I googled pics and it really is a beautiful tree and would love to have it be one.

I doubt it has ever been mulched or fertilized so thinking perhaps if I do this when it gets warmer it will help.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

I don't know what to tell you, but I noticed that the desert willow trees at the San Antonio Botanical Gardens were looking very poorly (only a few leaves at the top, dead looking branches) when I was there last November. These were trees that were planted where there is little or no irrigation so I think their appearance was due to the recent drought conditions in San Antonio.

With our fall and winter rains I'll be interested in watching how they recover next spring. While they are drought tolerant they do grow by dry stream beds in the desert so that would indicate they benefit from occasional deep watering. I'm not so sure about fertilization and mulching since they are desert trees and grow naturally in poor, well drained soil, but according to the article below watering well once a month is good. Keep us posted on how your tree fares this coming year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Plant Society on growing desert willow trees ..

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

Desert willow is deciduous, so even in your mild-winter areas, it may just be a little bit dormant.

• phoenix7801
    9 years ago

They're deciduous. Continue to take care of it with some organic fertilizer and maybe a little mulch.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

I wouldn't add fert during the dormant season;
    it seems a little like giving a cup of high-test coffee to a heart transplant patient because he isn't perky enough!

• phoenix7801
    9 years ago

Eventually, it'll leaf out. As long as you don't overdo it a little bit of fertilizer would help

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Incidentally, the poor looking trees I observed at the Botanical Gardens had not gone dormant yet. It was the beginning of November. At the time the 'Bubba' desert willow in my yard still had a couple of blooms.

• phoenix7801
    9 years ago

I think they're set up on an irrigation schedule of once a week. We have so many trees its hard to hit every one with supplemental water. Luckily the Desert Willows are tough. Little bit of an educational sidenote for those who dont know but "Bubba" actually came from the San Antonio Botanical Gardens.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Joey, thanks for your always good input.

I'll be curious to know whether those leafless lower limbs of desert willows I saw there will leaf out in spring, as well as how the original poster's trees fare. In case I don't make it out to the Botanical Gardens until summer will you check and let us know how they are doing? Thank you!

• greatnan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for the great information, I truly appreciate it.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

In nature I think the trees are in desert washes , not that far from water. correct me if I am wrong.

• greendumb
    9 years ago

I live in Alpine Texas and Desert willows are native and very common. The best ones are found in washes and around areas that collect seasonal water. I would enrich your soil by working in some compost. Just a little each year. Stay away from the 21.00.00 as they burn easy. They grow in very poor soil that is very alkaline. It is easy to kill them with too much water.

• greatnan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you again for all the info. I think I may give it a little fertilizer and lots of mulch.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH