Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What about the agapanthus?

Posted by bobbi_p z8/9 Cypress, TX (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 6, 10 at 10:28

I'm looking to you northern gardenwebbers for advice on my agapanthus. I can't seem to find good guidance. They're the one plant out front that I'm concerned about. And my husband is quite fond of them as well.

I'm thinking I'll go ahead and cover them, but what would your expectations be if we're to get down as low as 25 Thursday through Saturday, but apparently above freezing during the day????

Am I wrong to think that Dallas would have that sort of weather pattern every year? Do you guys have agapanthus in the ground up there?

Mine are generally evergreen, but are showing some frost damaged leaves already. Do I expect them to die back to the ground and then come back? If so, will they bloom this year?

In back, I think the only thing I'll try to cover is the orange tree we just planted a little before our first freeze. The Meyer lemon (which was stressed before I planted it) and 2 pineapple oranges already look dead. Seems to be some conflicting info on the plumbago. I see my natal plum is less than happy too. Oh well, live and learn, right???

Good luck everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What about the agapanthus?

We do not have prolonged freezing days and nights each year, Bobbi, haven't had one in a few. I cannot answer your question about the agapanthus as mine is in a container and not in the ground. The only person I know who has beautiful, large ones inground has not had a season like this to test them. How long are your temps expected to be at or below freezing? I think this is the key to protecting any marginal plant.

o
RE: What about the agapanthus?

Most agapanthus are rated Zone 7b, 7-10. Some will keep their leaves through a winter and some will die back. I have never seen anyone covering them in Austin (8b). There are some nice agapanthus. here. I don't grow them to well myself but that is because I did not enrich the soil enough or water them enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here