Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbnick

Question about Onions

greenthumbnick
16 years ago

Hi,

Im going to try onions again this year after a failed attempt last year.

My question is what is the difference between planting the little bulbs vs the dried onion plants? Is one for scallions and the other for bulbs? If not, which is better. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

nick

Comments (13)

• marlingardener
    16 years ago

Nick,
    The bulbs and the dried onion plants are equal--it just depends on what you can get locally. I usually pick up bunches of the "dried onion plants" from the local feed store (they offer both white and yellow) and plant them in a trench, about four inches deep, and a plant every two inches. Then when the onion tops are green and the stalk is about as thick as a pencil, I pull every other one to use as green onions. Onions need good drainage, and appreciate a dose of compost or organic fertilizer about two weeks after planting (you see new growth at the tops) and after all the "green onions" have been harvested (which can take up to a month--you don't have to take them all at once, just the bigger ones). Texas is great for onion growing. Perhaps that's why we have the 1115!

• greenthumbnick
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks marlingardner. What is 1115?

• marlingardener
    16 years ago

Sorry, I should have explained that is a variety of onion developed by Texas A&M, called 1115 because that is when you plant the seed, Nov. 15. It is a particularly nice variety for Texas. However, almost any onion set that you buy locally is good for Texas, too. In the south, short-day varieties do well; northern (yankee) onions are long-day types. Your onions will do well--enjoy a good harvest!

• carrie751
    16 years ago

I thought it was the 1015 onion because it is planted on the 15th of October. At least, that is when my brother always planted his, and he grew some beauts.

• greenthumbnick
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh you plant them in the fall, not spring??

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

You plant from seed on 10-15 and that is where the 1015y got its name from. If planted much later than 11-15 you may not develop a good bulb in spring. Depending on where you are at people in the southern part of the state plant onion sets (still have green tops) as early as December. For most of the rest of the state folks plant them from January to the end of Feb. Depending on how cold you are if planted much later you won't be able to get good sized bulbs. Not all people plant them to have the big onions for a June harvest so it is part, how you use them and part where in the state you are.
    Hope this helps clarify the general issues involved. I have personally never done dried onion so won't comment on the time and better or worse aspects of this type.
    Happy Growing whatever you choose. David

• marlingardener
    16 years ago

Carrie and Dave are right--1015 is the onion's name. I goofed!

• robin303
    16 years ago

Hey Nick try out this website:
    http://www.dixondalefarms.com/

• carrie751
    16 years ago

I hope yours do well this year, marlingardener .... they are, without a doubt, the best onion ever !!!

• greenthumbnick
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guys, you've been a great help!

• Gumbertgroup_netzero_net
    12 years ago

What is the best way to store onions with out Refrigeration for sale at our road stands and make them last. Just received 10/15 today

• schroder
    10 years ago

how much sun do they need? full sun? partial shade? thanks!

• kentuck_8b
    10 years ago

Full sun.