Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need shade loving shrubs or groundcover

Posted by dougherty2 Ennis TX (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 13, 09 at 11:53

I'm looking for some shade loving shrubs or ground cover if anyone has any they don't need. I'm in Ennis, but will also pick up in Cedar Hill, Duncanville, Midlothian, Waxahachie...

This side of the house gets little to no direct sun. We also have 5 dogs that lay up here from time to time. Grass won't work, ground cover would if I can find something hardy.

Trish
PurrFect Harmony Farm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need shade loving shrubs or groundcover

Stay tuned for the Spring plant swaps. Cheryl

o

I have luck with ajuga - it has a bronzy/green leaf and sprouts a pretty purple/blue flower in the spring. I has grown on the north side of my house for quite some time. It even gets mowed in the summer since it has intertwined with the grass. You can use Asian jasmine - however, it spreads everywhere and is a real problem to get rid of.

o

Hi! I've got a looooooot of Confederate Jasmine. It is a fairly aggressive groundcover that really fills up an area quickly. If given any sun it will also flower in the spring, and smells of - you guessed it - jasmine. We're changing some of our landscaping this spring. The jasmine likes to climbs trees, so we're taking it out of the beds with trees. You're welcome to as much as you could want out of our yard! It's evergreen, and I've found that as long as it has a hardscape surface keeping it in bounds (like a path, or deep edging, or the like) it's reasonably well behaved. One or two prunes a year generally keeps ours where we want it. I just want room for something other than groundcover! Feel free to email me. mommyfox at gmail dot com.

Northern Patio

o

Purple Winter Creeper is the best ground cover for shade...I'm west of Fort Worth & have it both in sun & shade & it thrives in all areas in my yard. It looks kind of like Asiatic Jasmine but is very easy to contain & it is very hardy & evergreen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here