Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

San Antonio plant swap......... on your mark!

plantmaven
15 years ago

Roselee reserved pavillion #1 for our spring 2009 swap.

Date: Saturday, March 21, 2009

Time: 9:00 a.m. until

Lunch: Bring your own lunch.

What to bring: plants, cuttings,seeds or anything that has to do with gardening.

Hop over to conversations to see wants and haves.

Some do one on one post requests

This will be our 6th bi-annual swap

Comments (74)

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

Oh, well, it just seems like a crime of some sort to do that. We just had an area of land cleared for a large shed and boy, it still hurts me to think of what had to be destroyed. Just a couple of trees and some shrubs, but I'm going to miss them for a long time. Already thinking of what we can plant by that shed when it's done, however! That's the only consolation, because plants are so precious to me.

• castro_gardener
    15 years ago

Me again.

Does anyone want cannas ? I have lots I need to get rid of.

Need succulents to make two living wreaths. don't need to be potted. Pieces broken off before swap are okay since I need them to callus first anyway.

patty

• trsinc
    15 years ago

What color cannas? I'll bring you some succulent sprigs. I have a few but don't know the names of any of them. Is ice plant considered a succulent? I have that too - the green, shiny leaved one with deep pink flowers.

• mla2ofus
    15 years ago

I've never been to one before but it sounds like a lot of fun. I'm going to try to come but need to know, can I just show up with plants or garden related items, or do I need to do pre-trades. I'm not sure how it works.
    Linda

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Yep! Just show up with garden related items to swap. Pre-trades are not necessary, but it's sometimes convenient if there is something special you want that someone has mentioned. You can email them from 'My Page,' post it on this thread, or click on the 'Exchanges' page (you'll see it at the top of this Texas page) where there is also a thread of haves and wants going.

If you don't have anything to swap -- come anyway. Near the end of the 'serious' swaps there are usually some plants that are given away.

Looking forward to seeing you there. It is so much fun to meet people in person that we've met on here and make new gardening friends. We'll have name tags to help you ID people as well as plants :-)

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh goodie, a new "face". Please come. We do have fun. This is a very loose knit bunch.
    There are a couple "rules".
    Once a person has made a trade they put their personal plant under their table. So, plants under tables are definitely off limits.
    If you see a plant on a table that you would like, ask first, as it may be a pretrade.

We have drawings for door prizes.....even though we don't have a door.

• wildflower101
    15 years ago

Hi and nice to meet everyone. I'm a newbie here to this site and the swap (live in Spring Branch), but would love to join you all. You all sound so awesome! Can't wait to meet everyone in person

I have the following seedlings to offer - started from seed so they are small (but easier to transport to trade!):
    - Queens palm (20)
    - Mexican fan palm (4)
    - Natal plum (4)

Other stuff:
    - Black taro bulbs 'Metallica' (lots)
    - Bromelliad, 'Queens Tears' (lots)
    - Water garden plants (will bring for specific request only - takes a bit more care to pack up - lilies, marginals, oxygenators, etc)
    - Butterfly Weed, Mexican Milkweed (5)
    - Peace lily (3)
    - yellow and red cannas (lots)
    - cypress trees (starters and some in 1 gal pots)

Seeds:
    - have a ton of desert willow (pink)- have 4 trees that
    gave me lots of seed pods last summer
    - esperanza (Yellow bells)
    - moss rose
    ** have more seeds - too many to list here - will just bring the box & let everyone look through it.

Tonya - I have a black ornamental sweet potatoe vine called 'Ace of Spades' - I can start you a plant if you'd like (also have 'Margarita' - really pretty if mix 'Margarita' with 'Ace of Spades')

Patty - I'd love to swap for your Ixora if no one else has put in dibs on it. Whatcha looking for?

I'm looking for heirloom veggies for my garden, herbs and I love tropicals. Two other things I'd love to swap for would be: Tx. Mountain laurels (need to plant a row for a wind block by my greenhouse - I need about 4)and the elusive Blanco crabapple (I will give my right arm for this one! Where do we find this tree? Seriously?).

Too cool to get be part of all of this with you all :)

Carolyn

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carolyn, First of all, welcome and I am so glad you will be joining us.

I once bought a Blanco crabapple tree at Rainbow Gardens on Thousand Oaks. Call both places and see if they have any or can order you one.

Also I would like a start of both your sweetpotato vines. Pop over to the exchanges page to see my updated list.

Mt. Laurel a very slow growing until they get to be about 8 or 9 years old. I pull seedlings up and toss them in the trash. If you want some seedlings, I will bring any that come up between now and the swap.

Kathy/plantmaven

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oops my list is on conversations.

k

• nbtonya
    15 years ago

Hi Carolyn, nice to meet ya! I'd love some starts from your two sweet potatoe vines. I have someone bringing me a "blackie" but would love the other two varieties, too. I'm sure I'll have some veggies and herbs you might be interested in and maybe some tropical flowers. I'll be updating my list on the conversations thread in March when I see what does well from seeds that I have planted.

Kathy, I'm headed over to see your list right now!

Tonya

• wildflower101
    15 years ago

Alright Kathy and Tonya - your cuttings of both ornamental sweet potatoe vines are now rooting :)

I didn't realize that there was another page to post the haves and wants....oops. I'll jump over there for future postings.

Kathy, THANK YOU for that information on the Blanco crabapple. I'm calling first thing in the morning. Say a prayer and cross your fingers for me...it would make my garden dreams come true to find this tree. I cannot believe how hard it's been to find one! Also, I want to thank you for the info the Tx. Mountain Laurel - I didn't realize they grew so slow - I'll pass on the seedlings. Back to the drawing board on trying to figure out what to plant by the greenhouse.

• castro_gardener
    15 years ago

Here's my first list. Will most likely add more as I find more coming up in the garden. If I've already contacted you about things on your list, I probably sent you a personal email with my list.

If you are interested in something from my list, please send me an email. If you don't have my address, click on "my page" next to "castro_gardener" then click "send an email." I look at my email a lot more than I do GardenWeb and this would make it easier for me to answer you about anything on the list.

Some things need to be dug up, so let me know as soon as possible and I'll get it potted so that it will be good in time for the swap.

Banana plants
    Ghost plant succulent
    Variegated vinca
    Society garlic
    Crocosmia
    White salvia coccinea
    Hidden ginger
    Salvia involucrata
    Salvia madrensis
    Root beer plant
    Texas red columbine
    White crinum seedlings
    Ruby grass
    Large pink rain lily
    Red firecracker plant / IÂm looking for yellow firecracker
    Thryalis
    Callisia fragrans Old ManÂs pipe
    Ficus
    Cissus quadrangularis / veldt grape
    Sanseveria  different varieties need to look up
    Haworthia  window plane plant
    Jade
    Salvia microphylla red
    Donkey ears kalanchoe
    Jingle Bells kalanchoe
    White epiphyllum /night-blooming cereus
    Artillery fern
    Aloe vera
    Panda Plant kalanchoe tomentosa
    Pregnant onion / ornithogalum caudatum
    Plectranthus Cuban oregano Variegated
    Plectranthus VickÂs plant
    What looks like a Golden Rain Tree
    Crassula / cannot find botanic variety
    String of hearts vine
    LindheimerÂs Senna
    Dwarf bamboo
    Coral bean
    Century plant agave
    Salvia coccinea cherry blossom
    Tropical milkweed / asclepias
    Air potato bulbs / dioscorea bulbifera
    Ruellia squarrosa

See you soon !

also putting this message on Conversations and Exchanges.

patty

• castro_gardener
    15 years ago

Please see our post in Conversations for lists of Haves and Wants.

Scroll down for Hints, Etiquette, and Other Stuff.

Thank you !!

patty

• castro_gardener
    15 years ago

Is it just me or do we have fewer swappers posting this year ?

Don't be shy ! come join us for a great swap and new friends !

spread the word !

• castro_gardener
    15 years ago

Trying to keep us on the front page. we'll soon be buried on the second.

bump

• happymary45
    15 years ago

Hi everyone. I just e-mailed Kathy, but I will post, too. I'd like to talk to anyone who might want to talk to me about the swap because I'd like to write about it for the home and garden section (saturdays) for the SA express-news. I don't want to be intrusive, so if you could e-mail me at mheidbrink@express-news.net, I'll get in touch! and hopefully this will bump this posting up a bit.

Many thanks!

Mary

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was not clear from Mary's e-mail, if she meant an article or an open invitation.
    I notified Mary that the permit limits the number of people at the pavillion we are currently using.

Y'all speak up!

k

• new_gardener_tx
    15 years ago

Hey everyone, just signed up on the forum for this event. Sounds great! I'm new to gardening in general, so what I hope to mainly swap is knowledge and advice...and maybe a couple of plants / seeds, too.

I have several varieties of heirloom tomato seedlings growing, too, so I'll bring whatever I don't end up giving away / planting along with various veggie seeds.

Can you go ahead and sign me up, plantmaven? Thanks!
    Kyle

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kyle, I am glad to "hear" that you will be joining us.

We always have fun.

Kathy

• castro_gardener
    15 years ago

Hello All. Just wondering if there's anyone else out there who is interesting in coming to the swap. Newbies are always welcome !

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kate e-mailed me for this site, so I think she is lurking.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

bump...

• castro_gardener
    15 years ago

Unless we find out differently, and have totally gotten the wrong information, we may have lost one of our swap friends to an automobile accident on February 19.

Listed above as Wildflower101, Carolyn Fennell wrote to some of us about pre-arranged swaps. She and I corresponded often and shared much in common. She was looking forward to coming to her first swap, even though she thought she might be too shy. She sure opened up when she wrote to me, and you could tell that she loved her gardening like we all do.

She was to write me again two days after our last email, on her day off she said, and I didn't hear from her. Now we know why.

Carolyn was a nurse, so she knew how fragile life was. Unfortunately, she was driving without her seatbelt, the news story said. If we learn anything from this horrible accident, let it be to buckle up every moment we're in an automobile.

Like I mentioned, maybe we got some wrong information. I hope so. If any of you have heard from Wildflower101 since February 19, please let me know.

If our information is correct, then I say "rest in peace, our garden friend. keep the roses in heaven blooming with your special gift."

patty

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How awful. I remember discussing that accident, as I have cousins out at Spring Branch.
    And yes, the info, unfortunately, sounds like it might be correct.
    k

• trsinc
    15 years ago

Oh, no! I emailed her on Feb. 28 (per her request in her initial post on the swap thread) and have not heard back. I was wondering why. How sad.

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

I'm sorry....it's been confirmed by a friend of mine, who had been a friend of Carolyn's for some time. So sad!

• dragonfly_wings
    15 years ago

Hi Kathy et al!

I'm a newbie! Barbra, over in the Brugmansia forum, suggested I check in here. This sounds like so much fun! I'm near Marble Falls and think the San Antonio swap will work best with my schedule, but I'm not yet ready to firm that up. I have never been to a swap and don't currently have any plants so maybe you can give me a job to do to keep me out of trouble.

Is there a deadline for signing up?

Looking forward to meeting you all!

• nbtonya
    15 years ago

Hi dragonfly wings! I haven't heard of any "cut off" yet, so would love to have you "come on down". Look forward to meeting you. If you want to, you can bring other things to swap for plants, like pots, gardening supplies, etc. I think another person is even bringing baked goods and homemade jam! We're flexible!

One other comment to the sad note about Carolyn Fennel. Here is a note that is posted on her Dave's Garden page:

"I would like all the members on dave's garden that were associated with carolyn to know that she was in a car accident and she passed away Wendsday Feburary 18th. I am her daughter-in-law and she has left me with her green thumb. If anyone has a pending trade with her I would like to honor that, I want to get the plants that she wanted and was looking forward to here. If you would please email me at tsuki.sakura@yahoo.com I will make sure all of her existing trades are honored."

At the very least, it is a contact e-mail we can use to express our condolences. I enjoyed my e-mail contact with Carloyn, as well. You could tell she was a kind and generous person who loved her "gardening addiction" as she called it and I know I would have loved getting to know her better.

Tonya

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marble Falls! you will certainly get the prize for driving the farthest!
    Come on down. We have no such thing as signing up.

This is a great way to get started. If you don't have plants, you will when you go home.

btw: Driving a brand new motor home over the bridge @ Marble Falls was one of the scariest drives I ever made.

Kathy

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

"Ready set ..." the swap is less than two weeks away.

It'll be "Go!" in no time :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: San Antonio Swap Wants and Have List ...

• naomiw31
    15 years ago

Hi all -

I posted in the swaps wants and haves list to get more information on this swap, but found the info here. I'm going to try and come down from Leander, and may have some folks with me. I'll also try and post in the next few days or so my lists of haves. thanks! Naomi

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Naomi! It will be great to see you again.

After "cannabeth" moved, we lost track.

Kathy,
    formerly natvtxn, before a pc crash

• dragonfly_wings
    15 years ago

Looks like I've had a change of plans. I'm going to be in Austin on the 3rd so will probably be going to the Buda swap instead. Hope to meet all you San Antonio folks some time soon. Maybe by then I'll even have some brugs and other plants to swap!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Dragonfly wings (what a pretty name) sorry you might not be coming to San Antonio for the Spring swap, but you'll have a blast is Buda :-) We hope you'll make it to a San Antonio swap soon.

• castro_gardener
    15 years ago

anybody else wanna come ? We're almost a week away !

please email me separately if you'd like to arrange a pre-trade. It makes it so much easier to bring you a box with your name on it ! My list is above.

Looking forward to seeing familiar (and new) faces !!

patty

• tect_one
    15 years ago

Anyone interested in Dusty Miller or hyacinth bean vine seeds, both purple and white?

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I would like some of both purple and white hyacinth bean seeds.

Kathy

• Texan Gal
    15 years ago

Hello all! Heather here. I'm an infrequent poster, but I love the fun of talking plants and socializing at the plant swap. I am coming with my mom and aunt this time. We're bringing yellow day lilies, new gold lantanas (that are huge! but in my shady lot do not bloom), what I believe is Lindheimer's Muhly Grass, Butterfly Iris "Dietes Bicolor". In addition I hope to still dig up some of my John Fanick Phlox, various mums, lil chile petines, and whatever else I find thriving when I get out in the yard tomorrow.
    I'm really looking forward to the swap.
    In case you can't remember who I am exactly because I only popped into the swap last October to say hi and show off our babies, here's a pic with Kathy and Barbara and I from the April 2007 swap:

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Heather, I do remember you. Also that y'all stopped by to show us those cuties.
    You had two other people with you at the 2007 spring swap.

Kathy

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

Hi, Heather! Glad that you all can make it! Weather should be great by next weekend, so everything will be cooperating. There's things I should have done lately in the garden...and haven't because it's been rainy, muddy and so cold I couldn't even think about it lately. But now it's getting better and I'm running out of excuses!

• nbtonya
    15 years ago

Hi Heather! I look forward to meeting you, your Mom and your aunt. I missed your quick visit at the last swap. It's sure looking like we are going to have a great turnout.

Tonya

• xserenity_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Hello All!,

I'm a newbie so to speak never been to the swap, but a member of the yahoo group. Sad to say I wont be able to come on Sat I live in 'the valley' and must come up to SA on Sunday, for Appt on Monday and Tues, then picking up my DD at the airport at midnight. However, I will be in the area on Sunday and if there are any edibles, bird/butterfly plants, or any natural dye or paper plants I would be so very delighted to provide a home for them. I am replanting 11 acres into mixed use, sustainable ag and education center.
    I have lots of natives like yucca, agave, mesquite, and non N some amaryllis, orchid trees (haven't had great luck with transplanting these, also have seeds, a few bananas, and if anyone is competent with grafting I have some unusual avocados, but it may already be too late to get any saplings, but I am a total novice in that dept. If any one is interested in any of these let me know and I will dig some for you, or comes down here and would like to come and collect we could make arrangements. Would love to come to the swap, but can't swing the extra day. Hopefully next time:)

• castro_gardener
    15 years ago

Does anyone have any loquats to share ?

thank you,
    patty

• naomiw31
    15 years ago

Kathy - It will be good to come down again. I haven't heard from CannaBeth either - I am pretty sure she moved back to tropical FL and we miss her. But it's because of her I met you all! I'll post a short list in "Haves" and look forward to this weekend!

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

Two days left! Weather looks good.

• nbtonya
    15 years ago

I'm getting excited! Just a few more plants I need to dig up tonite, make a chocolate cake (to share!) tomorrow nite and I'll be ready to load up!

I think the weather will be absolutely perfect!

Tonya

• linda_tx8
    15 years ago

See you tomorrow! Just in case anyone needs a map:
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=San Antonio&state=TX&address=2700 Chisholm Trail

• cactuspatch
    15 years ago

Robert and I had a good time at the plant swap. It was good to meet fellow gardeners. Thanks for the plants!

• gmw1
    14 years ago

I am transplanting some red oak seedlings from this year, and maybe, (not sure yet) a live oak seedling from this year as well. I may also have a loquat seedling, and if it's from our tree, it's pretty good and very productive. Loquat rhubarb pie is delicious!
    Can't count on that, though, it's pretty good sized and I have to dig that out of the ground. The other seedlings were all planted in pots by squirrels or themselves, so easy to transplant into milk cartons...
    Let me know if you want them, and I will save you one: the two I had went quick last fall.

Anyone else have a bumper crop of oak trees this spring? Seems like they are everywhere!
    Gina

• Texan Gal
    14 years ago

I am overwhelmed with cedar elm seedlings! Maybe I'll take a page out of your book and pot 'em for swapping in the fall.

I didn't make it to our spring swap, but I did and do have a one foot Texas Redbud that I dug up from a flowerbed and transplanted to a pot for the swap.

Would anyone be interested in cedar elm tree seedlings?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?