Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisatx04

Last frost date?

lisatx04
15 years ago

Did some research and I think, if I read it correctly, the last frost date for NW Houston is 2/14.

Can someone verify this for me? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• archerb
    15 years ago

I'm just south of Austin and our last frost date is scheduled to be around the 7th of March. Valentines seems a bit early, even for Houston.

I provided a link that is based on the Farmer's almanac as to when to plant vegetables. I punched in my old Houston zip code and it told me the same thing as when I punched in my Austin zip code, Mar 7.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting date guide

• tesa001
    15 years ago

i've seen such conflicting information

one site i went to said march 1st.

another said march 15th.

very confussing

which one should i believe?

i'm a bit south west of conroe, but not much, so i
    was looking at conroe information, thinking that
    would be ok

i'm actually closer to tomball by about 6 miles, but
    didn't find info on tomball proper, maby its too small
    of a town for intormation?

tesa

• archerb
    15 years ago

I'm planning on waiting until the weekend of March 7th before I decide, and even then, it depends on what the 10-day forecast says. If the 10-day looks good, I'll go ahead and plant. I figure that if it looks good, I should be fine as I don't see us getting a cold snap after the 17th of March.

• john_bonzo
    15 years ago

In The Woodlands, I always put out transplants the last weekend of February. If we do get a freeze that late, it will likely be very light and the veggies will be small enough to cover with a milk jug or something similar.

• tesa001
    15 years ago

my olders daughter's birthday is march 14th

over the years, i've seen such strange weather for
    that day

i remember one year, it was so cold!!

and all 25 of her helium ballooms were blown off the
    tables, the wind was so bad

and other years, we've had her parties in shorts

texas weather is too funny

i like the idea of waiting 'till march 7th, and checkin'
    out the 10 day forecast

i think i'll try that

tesa

• shebear
    15 years ago

I would think that was a correct date. You're close to the coast and that really helps keep it warmer. Maybe since you're on the north side of Houston, you might want to push it a week later.

A local nursery should have someone who knows. Or a farm store will usually know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Veggie Planting Dates

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

I thought it snowed/froze last Easter in DFW. Our last frost date is March 16 so you never know. PJ

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Go to 'Intellicast.com'. They are a great weather site and have a listing of weather conditions for large cities including average high and low temps. From this info you can determine "last frost dates." Remember this an AVERAGE calculated over a long period of time. Mother Nature does not know anything about math or specific averages so keep you eye and nose (cold weather detection) to your most resent weather and forcasts.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths