Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who grows papaya in Houston area?

Posted by vossner z9 houston (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 8, 12 at 12:56

I recently bought a c. Waimanalo (sp?). Is it considered a dwarf? I guess it is dwarf compared to 60 ft oaks, but 10 ft seems kinda tall to me.

1) Does height pose problem when harvesting fruit? do I need a ladder?

2) Can I top it off so I can reach fruit more easily and also to encourage multiple branching?

3) is yous potted or planted inground?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who grows papaya in Houston area?

You might get better response in the tropical plants forum.

o

Sorry you haven't gotten a response to your question here. The forum isn't very active this time of year and I guess there no one who grows papaya in Houston is reading it right now. I had papaya plants volunteer from seeds and a ten foot or so plant produced big fruit, but being in San Antonio the plant succumbed to freezing temps before the fruit ripened. If you do a search for papaya you'll find some pictures I took. Let us know what you find out on the tropical plants forum. We wish you luck!

o

I would definitely plant it in a large container. Our papayas in the lower Rio Grande Valley have lost fruit due to freezing temperatures. In addition, a young Hawaiian Sunrise Papaya we had just planted was killed by last year's cold.

Ty

o

Some papayas grow to 30 feet in height, but I'm not sure what a dwarf grows to since I've never even heard of a dwarf papaya.

I always planted mine in the ground after the last frost from a pot which I planted the year before...that way the plant gets more size and the papayas get time to ripen before the Winter frosts set in.

My trees grew to between 12 and 15 feet usually, and the fruit were just below the top growth.

Some Summers, the trees re-grew from the lower trunk which didn't freeze in the Winter and produced fruit by Fall, but Winter protection would be very helpful.

Kt

o

thank you for your replies. For now, I am overwintering my tree in the garage. That buys me a couple of months b4 I have to decide on a location. I will post in the Tropicals forum.

o

I grow Mexico Papaya last year in Houston TX from seed in 4/1/2011, 5 ft tall in 4 months and max about 8 ft. Hawaii papaya 10 ft in 4 months 14 ft tall before winter. All leaves drop and new leaves start to come out. Both have a lot of fruits but not mature so I have to cover them from frost and some still survive until today. Enjoy growing Papaya and good luck.

o

my neighbor had one that was about 15' tall, but it leaned over so easy to pick the fruit. The cold year before last killed it. They grow fast from seeds but for fruit you might want to start with a tree that is already growing.
Don't top them, most are not normally branching and it can kill them.
Tally HO!

o

I have planted Mexico papaya seed in May 2013 in Sugar Land , Texas. Some are planted on the ground and others in pots. As of today, they have grown almost two feet. I will protect the ones in pots by bringing them in to the garage in winter. I will cover the ones planted on the ground. Hopefully, they will all survive the winter cold. Can anyone tell me how long will this Mexico papaya start bearing fruit when planted from seeds? Thank you most kindly for anyone's useful feedback.

o

papayas will produce the first year.
Keep them covered and they will do fine. Ed grows them up in your area.
Tally Ho!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here