Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Dianthus question

ruthz
12 years ago

What types do best here, and when do you plant your seeds?

I winter sowed some perennial last year. They should bloom this year.

I have annual and perennial that I want to grow this year from seeds.

Comments (13)

• seamommy
    12 years ago

They all do well here. I love em because they bloom for such a long time. The taller ones, called Sweet Williams are wonderful and will come back from seeds each spring. The shorter ones will also return from the roots and will spread to form a beautiful mat. They bloom naturally in Spring but will also continue to bloom intermittently throughout the summer. Dontcha just LOVE dianthus!!!?

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Sweet Williams are a biennial though.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

You might like the perennial dianthus. I got mine at Lowes mark down table. Plant them in full sun, they are drought tolerant, and have a much longer blooming season. I got the Amazon Neon Purple, they also have pink ones. I love this new plant. Barbra

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I bought the Amazons as well, Barbra, and I really do like them. They are still blooming.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was at Lowes Saturday, but couldn't find names on any of the dianthus.
    I have about six or seven different types of seeds, but Amazon isn't one of them.
    I'll watch for that one.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Ruth, I will check to see if mine have seed........if so, I will harvest some for you.

• Lynn Marie
    12 years ago

I didn't use to like them until someone gave me a 6-pack. I planted them in full sun and they lived and lived and lived. Through super cold winters and super hot summers. They just kept living and blooming all year 'round. Can't go wrong with these flowers.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Mine are just starting to set blooms, I love that the stems are purple instead of green. Mine are just starting to send up blooms. They are much taller than the regular dianthus, and really like to spread. I can't wait to go down this weekend and see if they are blooming yet. Barbra

• shirley_jean
    12 years ago

Our Dianthus needs trimming. I'm wondering if it can be cut back really low. Any help would be appreciated.

• jardineratx
    12 years ago

I have had very good luck with Melody Pink and First Love Dianthus. Both of these grow to about 15-18" in height, which I much prefer to the shorter varieties. I've never grown these from seed, but have had good luck finding young plants at local garden nurseries.
    Molly

• ruthz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jardineratx, First Love is what I started from seeds last year. They have been blooming for a while now and I love them. I bought the seeds at Summer Hill seeds, but this year they don't have them. I'll have to look for Melody Pink. I did start several different kinds from seed this year.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just looked at Summer Hill seeds and they do have First Love. They must have been out when I placed my last order.
    Most of the ones I sowed this year are annuals, but no blooms yet.

• ltcollins1949
    12 years ago

I plant them in the fall, and they generally will bloom throughout the winter unless it freezes. And they will continue to bloom until it gets really hot, then they die out. I've never had any survive the summers down here!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!