Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting Turks Cap.

Posted by chickadee_42us 8a Tx (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 26, 11 at 14:15

Hum. I have this growing rather successfully but I want to move some of them to another bed. I am thinking I have a good chance of making a safe transplant in March. I am in the Upper North/East Texas area, zone 8A. Does transferring interrupt a bloom cycle for these??

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting Turks Cap.

I don't think so...they are pretty hardy. I've moved mine at my previous house in early spring and they were still blooming like crazy by mid summer. I am a bit north of you in the Denton area.

o

• Posted by ruthz DFW/TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 26, 11 at 17:12

I bought mine in 2009. They died back over the winter.
I transpalnted a pink one and a variegated one last spring as soon as they came up.
The pink one bloomed normally. The variegated one was slow taking off and didn't bloom very much, but the variegation was much better after transplanting.
This winter they haven't died back so far.

o

Transplant before March if possible. The plants are making new roots now and will need the new root growth to aid in a good bloom.

o

Thanks for the replies, I am definitely encouraged!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here