Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackwillow87

Amaryllis Question

blackwillow87
11 years ago

Hi I have a few amaryllis bulbs that I want to plant in one of my flowerbeds in Spring. The flowerbed is on the west side of my house so it gets lots of mid-late afternoon sun especially during Summer. Would the sun be too intense for the amaryllis bulbs? I currently have Minerva, Apple Blossom, Red Lion, Best Seller, and Vittatum. Thanks

Cameron

Comments (8)

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

I have some in a spot that gets west sun but in the heat of the summer they are protected by lantana. They really like some sun but I w o uldn't try full on hours and hours of west sun on the tropical leaves. Maybe someone else has a different experience
    c

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Cynthia. I'll find another spot for them. I really want to put some type of heat and drought tolerant bulb in that area. Unfortunately there's nothing to shade that part of the flowerbed.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

will you be digging around in there? That's what keeps my anemones and ranunculus from returning. They spend the summer in a dry box, they might be worth trying in your bed for spring color. BUT it's too late to plant them now, I plant anemones in oct and ranunculus as soon as I have a place for them in Dec or Jan.
    c

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its such a small area I probably won't be digging around in it. Rannunculus are so pretty, my mom's friend had a few growing in pots. I have a few spider lilies (lycoris) do you think they would do well in the heat and drought? I added some Black Kow topsoil and manure yesterday. The soil is mostly sandy loam, its the best patch of dirt in my yard lol.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Hi Blackwillow! My experience with lycoris is that they will live, but not bloom if they don't receive sufficient water during their dormant period in the summer.

You might consider planting crinum bulbs in the area. They are such large bulbs that they can store a lot of water and seem pretty forgiving in drought conditions. The ends of the foliage may dry out, but they will live and bloom occasionally if they get any water at all.

Or perhaps a grouping of the smaller, colorful foliaged, soft leaved yuccas like 'Color guard' or 'Bright edge' would work there. They would be evergreen, non sticky, bloom at least once a year, and would certainly take the heat and drought.

Here is a link that might be useful: Color guard yucca ...

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Roselee for the information on color guard yucca, I had a beautiful yucca plant at my old house, and I enjoyed the blooms. It grew incredibly large and produced so many babies. I wish I would have dug up one of the babies before I moved. Crinums are so beautiful but I haven't seen them at any of the garden centers and nurseries and they are too expensive for me lol. Most of my plants are from the clearance rack. I'll definitely look for a yucca this Spring.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Amaryllis will grow in full summer Texas sun and do well. They do, however, prefer am sun and afternoon shade. The foliage is not nearly as pretty in full sun.

Tally HO!

• blackwillow87
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Beachplant. The flowerbed gets the opposite unfortunately. It gets sun from 12 to the rest of the afternoon. This flowerbed has always been a problem area. It has pretty good soil but everything bakes in that area lol.