Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Henbit already coming up!

Posted by acalta 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 15:04

Hello All!

I am a long-time reader, but first time poster. This is only my second year with a full lawn...

Over the warm and lovely weekend here in north texas, little baby henbit starting sprouting up all over my lawn!

Last year we had a problem and got them one by one with a weed killer. But that wasn't until much later in the year.

Lawn experts: what do I do? I know there are all sorts of rules about when you can lay this and when to lay that-I just don't know them!

Signed the Lawn Novice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Henbit already coming up!

Hi acalta, welcome! Ah, I know, the joys of gardening in Texas... a pre-emergent put out in the fall will catch a lot of this stuff; it's time to put out again the first part of March to control weeds that pop up later in the year.

I subscribe to Neil Sperry's e-gardens newsletter, it has good information on what/how/when for gardening in this area. His current newsletter has information on when to put down pre-emergent.

I am currently battling fall aster that has spread like wildfire over the last year.

o

Thank you! We did do a pre-emergent in fall, but according to the garden center, we did it too late.

We will reapply in March...and become NS subscribers.

I've also been battling the evils of rabbits. My liquid fence just came in the mail last night! woohoo!

o

Enjoy the pretty purple flowers! Eat them if they don't have any chemicals on them.

You will get good advice from others, but alas, I've loved the henbits since I was a toddler picking them for my mother. I don't even try to kill them.

They do work in a salad, though, even if they aren't the absolute best salad greens.

o

I leave henbit for the bees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here