Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimr36

Time to start sowing tomato seeds?

jimr36
12 years ago

I read an article in a Houston-area publication that now is the time (mid-January) to start sowing tomato seeds, to get the right timing for outdoor transplanting. Something along the lines of getting them timed to be fruiting before going outside, but before the temperatures rise too high. Of course, they are to start indoors.

Does this sound right? The article also said to have lots of light on them (10 hours?, artificial light) in the time before starting to move them outside and hardening.

My only experience so far was growing them last year, August-October, with plants already started, and already fruiting.

Thanks.

Comments (15)

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I'm going to start mine in Feb. So for your zone I suppose now would be the time.

I'm not going to sow indoors. I'm doing mine in mini greenhouses (made from soda bottles and cups inside zip lock bags) the winter sowing method. I did it years ago and it was great.

You could try both methods and see which one works best for you.

• lucas_tx_gw
    12 years ago

Yep. I'm in the Dallas area and started mine already. Our last frost date is early-mid March, and it's good to get them in the ground about that time. They need to be 6-8 weeks old when you transplant them out.

You have to be prepared to protect them againts late frost if you put them out that early but if you don't get fruit set in April and May you probably won't get much because it just gets too hot for them to set fruit.

I'm sure in Houston the last frost date is even earlier.

And yes, they need lots of light to grow properly indoors and hopefully temps between 60-65, not too hot.

Good luck!

Teri

• sfmathews
    12 years ago

I'm with Lucas, mine are already up and about 1-2" tall. I've got them under 4' flourescents that are a few inches above the seedlings. The lights are on about 12 hours a day. I probably will need to transplant to 4" pots before too much longer.
    I planted out a few guinea pigs the end of February last year because I heard we were going to have a warm spring. I then planted the rest the 2nd week of March. Yes I had to cover them a few times, but the early planting paid off.
    HTH,
    Susan

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Okay, question here: what tomato seeds did you buy?

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I'll be planting some heirloom seeds a friend gave me to try.

• sfmathews
    12 years ago

I didn't buy any this year (though was sorely tempted!) I have a bunch from last year, along with some I've received in trades. I grow both heirlooms and hybrids. I think I started about 23 varieties.

• duajones
    12 years ago

I a in Corpus and always start mine the first week of January

• merrybookwyrm
    12 years ago

Thank you all for saving my little tomato plants. They were outside this afternoon soaking up sun. I'd forgot to bring them inside.

Why are they six weeks old? 'Cause dd presented me with tomato seeds that were germinating at Thanksgiving inside their tomato, and said "Grow them, please. They want to grow!" Gah.

They survive in spite of me.

Many, many thanks!

• cerri
    12 years ago

I'm starting my tomatoes, here in Irving, today after I get up (1 AM and about to go to bed here), as well as my peppers, cukes, and a few other things. My brassica and salad beds are still going from last fall, so it doesn't look like I'll need to replant anything there.

I've been wanting to try winter sowing flowers this year since I don't have room to start those indoors too, but it's been so warm, I'm scared they'll start growing already. =(

I should probably just ask this in the winter sowing forum, but am I just being a Nervous Nelly about it? Will the fact that it still gets pretty cool at night keep them from germinating? ...it's seriously supposed to be in the 70's all the latter half of next week, only dropping into the 50's at night.

I'm starting to wonder if we're going to have any sort of winter at all at this rate. I hope it's not an ominous sign of what we're gonna get this summer. =(

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Perennials can be started now. Hardy annuals after that.. then about Feb 1st you can start your tender annuals.

Now that I see you are in DFW area I can say you should keep all your containers in the shade until they sprout.

Winter isn't over yet! It looks like its gonna be a very mild one, but there's still time/chance for some ugliness.
    Don't be fooled by this warm spell. :)

From the responses I've read so far I've decided to go ahead and start some tomato seeds via winter sowing today.
    Its about 2 weeks earlier than I had it in my head to do to it, but oh well. The seeds know what to do and will sprout when its time.

• smdane05
    12 years ago

I started mine last week. Next year I know to place seed orders earlier. None of the big box stores have the seeds I was looking for and the local nursery had a few, but the packets looked old. Oddly, the walmart in sugar land off highway 6 had a BUNCH of seeds for .20 cents per packet. I signed up to get the seed catalogs, so here is to next year and being better prepared! :)

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Even old seeds will sprout. If they are what you are looking for go ahead and plant them.

Some of the big box stores up here have seeds in some not.
    I save seed from year to year. Some of mine are from 2000 or earlier.

• weldontx
    12 years ago

If you want to get "exotic" check out:

Tomato Growers, Inc.

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

and JohnnySeeds.com

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

I believe the standard time to start tomato plants in the Houston area is Christmas and for pepper January but then our seasons do not always work out the same each year, like when it is to hot to plant by the first of March. We have such a short season for tomatoes many years due to the about 95 degree weather that can hit before June some years. For us our best bet is to have a wire cage to protect as well as support them with some strong plastic wrap for those sudden cold snaps or high winds we get. The best wire support-cages are the ones you have to make not those cheap store bought junk. Pig fence comes in large rolls but if you can find a few friends it will not be so costly, that is unless you have a large area for tomatoes, The cherry type tomatoes seem to fair better than most.

• smdane05
    12 years ago

melvalena: I see some little babies coming up from the "old" packets :)

Wally-1936, you are so right about our seasons!