Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lou_texas

sbs or let for soils and mulches

lou_texas
12 years ago

What is your experience with the products of Soil Building Systems and Living Earth Technology? Pros? Cons?

They're both available in the DFW Metroplex, and I've tried only Living Earth -- with mixed results. Thanks, Lou

Comments (7)

• seamommy
    12 years ago

I've never heard of either of them. What are they and how do they work? I use my home made compost on lawn and gardens with uniformly good results...and it's free. Cheryl

• lou_texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These two companies provide these products: various mulches, various types of soil including bedding soil (blended with compost), various composts,and some locations
    also offer rock.

My experience with Living Earth compost was great for a few years, but last year when I bought the kind with expanded shale, I got tons of weeds.

I make my own compost too, but don't make nearly enough for my needs. I have to supplement periodically - usually with bagged products. This year I want to buy in bulk and add a rich compost to all the beds soon before mulching in late spring. Soil Building Systems products are pricier but I'd use them if I knew the quality was there. Don't want to pay a large price for a bulk shipment and then the payoff be tons of weed. I already have plenty of weeds, thank you. I want the compost to be rich in manure (I usually add alfalfa but not manure very often). SBS uses dairy cow manure in their composts with the other organic material. How does that sound to you? Any thoughts? Thanks, Lou

• tx_ag_95
    12 years ago

Call or email the Dallas County Ag Extension Agency's Master Gardeners (try http://www.extension.org/ask) they might have some experience with them.

• lou_texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I was hoping some of you gardeners had some personal experience that would give me insight. The county extension people were no help. I read the reviews on google/yahoo, but who knows who these people are? So I guess I'll base my decision on the fact that Neil Sperry lists SBS as a recommended resource on his website. Lou

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

I have purchased from Silver Creek Materials and was very happy with their products. I bought the rose mix which was compost and lava sand - I think the closest thing they have now is the lava sand mix.

• seamommy
    12 years ago

Anything with cow manure will be good and mostly weed-free. The rumination process in the cows multiple stomachs kills weed seeds. I also use lava sand for potting mixes because it contains trace minerals that are taken up slowly by plant roots, and provides gritty texture that drains well.

Zeolite is another product that helps build soil fertility. We had zillions of thistles and grassburs in our yard when we first moved here. They are plants that thrive in poor soil. After adding zeolite at a very thin rate the grassburs have almost completely disappeared. I don't use the zeolite in garden areas however, just the compost which I apply 2-3 times annually.

• lou_texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Seamommy and barkingdogwoods for your help. Very interesting information. Lou