Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prsb

Where to buy Italian cypress around Austin area?

prsb
11 years ago

Hi all,

I am hoping some long time Austinites can help me out here. I need to plant some tall evergreen trees in my front yard on either front corner of my house for definition.There is not much space for girth, so I want the trees to be slender and also for the roots to not invade the walls of my house.

I think Italian cypress though not native fits the bill.

1) I am looking for other suggestions that look similar architectural. Flowering would be nice, but needs to be evergreen.
2) Can someone tell me where I could purchase some Italian Cypress less $. I am OK with buying smaller 3G containers, as it'll be easier for me to put them in. Most nursuries I have checked charge $60 to $100 each, though they are for bigger containers.

Pebbles

Comments (18)

• prsb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gretchen, Thank you for your suggestion. I looked up Pond cypress and I think it will be too large for the corner I have in mind. I want something slender that grows to a max height of 20 feet or so.

• Bryan Scott
    11 years ago

What area of Austin are you in?

• prsb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live in NW Austin but work down South. So anywhere in Austin is fine, even Georgetown/Round Rock to Buda is OK.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Teds Trees in East Austin has Italian cypressfor one. I googled "trees Austin tx and got a lot of hits. It is a tree that is fairly common,

Here is a link that might be useful: Teds Trees

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Also D&B tree of north Austin area say they have Italian cypress

Here is a link that might be useful: D & B tree company , inc.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I saw them at Lowes in San Antonio yesterday.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I saw them at Loe's in Bee Caves so I think they are probaby in all the Lowe's in the area.

• Bryan Scott
    11 years ago

Pebble,
    I'm in the Anderson Mill/183 area. A couple places you might check out in the area for trees is Countryside Nursery and Red Barn Nursery. Both are on Pond Springs Road. Another is up in Cedar Park on Old 183 (not Toll 183a) called Hill Country Water Gardens and Nursery. All three of these have a decent assortment of trees and are very knowledgeable and helpful. Also, if you are into organics, all three of them have Ladybug and Medina organic care products for anything from vegetables, to plants, to trees.

Hope this helps,
    Bryan

• prsb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I did see some at the lowes closest to my house for about $36 each. The ones I found were all bent over so didn't bring them home but I'll look around for some pretty ones.

Pebble

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

Didn't see them at Lowe's in Bee Cave yesterday. Man, they had a lot of sweet olives full of flowers. Smelled so good!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Wow , they went quick. They were nice looking ones.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

What went quick?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

The Italian cypress went quick at the Lowe's in Bee Caves that I saw on 2/4. they looked nice too. I think I saw about 15- 20 of them

• scotty66
    11 years ago

I googled Italian Cypress to see what they looked like... and this page caught my eye.

http://www.wildflower.org/mobile/expert/show.php?id=7231

I don't have any issues with non-native plants, but the info on the drought, conifers (even native) and spidermites was new.

Here is a link that might be useful: something to think about

• prsb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone! I looked around some area nurseries and ultimately bought two 5G Italian cypress Glauca from Lowes at $36 each. I realized that they were very high demand and get sold pretty quickly. Some nurseries always have them albeit at a much higher price.

These 5G are very small maybe between 3-4 feet now, so they were easier to put in. Hopefully they'll grow some this year. My house is pretty tall roof for a two story on a typical neighborhood quarter acre lot surrounded by oak trees. Don't really have much room for trees but thought these green columns would soften the height of the house a bit. Couldn't find any alternate for the tight spots in the corners of the house.

I have read about spider mite problems. Figured I would always keep an eye out as they are so close to my house. One of my neighbors, down the street (never spoken to her) has two of these at either side of her front door. Two years ago they looked scraggly and brown and then for some time I would see her spraying something on them. Guess I would have an excuse to ask her if I run into similar problems and of course I have you guys.

Thanks,
    Whiterose

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I have heard that fish fertilizer is good. Spider mites love dry conditions. I am out in the Hamilton Pool area . I have friends on the Pedernales River who lost about five acres of mountain ash cedar. They also had that large fire stop at their front porch. They had more damage from the mites. Good luck.

• Gretchen W.
    5 years ago

Wow about pond cypress that is an old thread. 2013