Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Its TIME for Winter Sowing!

Posted by melvalena North Texas 7/8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 17:10

Yep. Its that time of year again. :)
I'm just about ready to get started. Will be taking the tree down Jan 7th. Once everything is packed up in the attic I'll get started planting.

If you are new to gardening you may not know that Winter Sowing a method of starting seeds outdoors.. not inside. You don't have to mess with lights, heat mats or building shelves. Instead you make mini green houses out of gal milk jugs, or use the larger yogurt, sour cream or cottage cheese containers--or any other similar container.

I'm no expert, but I have done it with pretty good results.
Many others here in the Texas Forum have also had good results.

Last year I had best results with: rudbeckia, swiss chard, tomatoes, indian blankets, and forget me nots. I planted lots of other stuff, but those did the best for me.

Check out this group, feel free to ask questions there or over here. Be sure to read their FAQ. Its very well written.

Here is a link that might be useful: winter sowing forum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Its TIME for Winter Sowing!

I am going to start some seeds in all those milk jugs that take up room in the recycle bin. Tomorrow I hope to seal the grout in shed if it is decent or I can use the small heater.
I am having great success with my orchid's growing in the bathroom. One has 15 buds ready to bloom, soon.

o

I found seeds for a venus fly trap? I have seen them in places like Home Depot. Do they do okay here? My friend game them to me cause she knows I can grow most anything.
Another question do Stag Horn ferns grow okay here as well?

o

I started some seeds for winter sowing. Lunch last week was a complete blast. Enjoyed it. I want to get together with the same gals cause I missed out on some of the conversation.

o

Staghorn Ferns need a lot of humidity and will need to be greenhoused or brought inside over winter.

I personally wouldn't have time or energy to care for them although I love the way they look! Over the past few years, I've tried to scale back on water loving plants and tropicals just to simplify my gardening and preserve the water that we have for human consumption. That's a different topic though :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here