Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants are dying

Posted by RockyPresley 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 18:30

Hello all, I am very young in my green thumb ability, and I need some help! My plants are dying in the winter. I don't believe that they are supposed to lose their leaves, but they are. Some of the leaves have been eaten as well. I think the plants are Texas Sage, but I could be wrong. Is there anyone that can help me address the problem from the image provided? I would greatly appreciate it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants are dying

If the dark green is the typical color, then its not Texas Sage.

If the dark green is *not* the typical color, then it just might be Texas Sage & you've got some volunteers growing up in the middle of the sage.

Questions: How long have the shrubs been there? New transplants? Well established? Any other plants doing the same thing? Exactly where are you?

~ freshair

o

It looks like Texas sage to me with, as Freshair notes, a few sprouts of weed trees (possibly Cedar elm or Hackberry) coming up from beneath. Texas sage is hard to kill. It may be that it's just loosing some old worn out leaves in anticipation of putting on fresh new leaves in the spring. Even evergreen bushes get a little more sparse in the winter. Try to pull out the weed trees after a rain.

o

It looks like variegated Ligustrum sinense to me with sprouts that have lost their variegation.

o

What do the flowers look like when it blooms and what color are they? To me, it kinda looks like it could be a Salvia Gregii or Autumn Sage, or one of the Microphyllas. They are not evergreen, although in a protected spot like yours close to the house, it could hold on to it's leaves a long time in winter.

o

I agree with texasflip. I think it is variegated ligustrum. I have it and they do lose some foliage during the winter. I usually prune it heavely at the end of the winter to keep it down and get a less lanky and a more compact growth.

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Variegated ligustrum

o

Thank you all for the help. Yes, Lingstrum is the plant for sure. I'll cut I back after winter as Omar suggested. What do you prefer to use as fertilizer?

o

I only use organic matter on them: shredded leaves, mulch, etc..Ligustrums are not demanding plants.

Omar

o

I got up close to the photo with the lower part of my bifocals and can now see the varigation. So the good news it the plant isn't dying. The foliage is just a little sparse in winter. As Omar says it's a strong growing plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here