Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
princealbert_gw

Made me work HARRRD

princealbert
12 years ago

I was lured over to honeybunny's house under the guise of free canna plants (save them from the dump). well here is the rest of the story.

She had offered a Sago palm baby and one full grown sago palm which was planted in the wrong place a while back. Well we dug around it and then Barbara, the Boss lady ,and I pulled it up with a rope. The boss lady and I loaded the big one into the truck and brought it home and planted them. I got 13 pots of babies off the big one. Some of the pots have 2 & 3 babies in them. I guess I gotta get Barbara some dirt, it left a big hole.

pa

Comments (12)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

OMG -- how terrible! What a slave driver she is! Somebody ought to report her for doing that to you ;-)

But WOW, on the other hand -- what a wonderful haul!!!

I knew Barbra could load one down with plants from her garden, but this takes the cake. Don't cha' love that kind of cake?

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

That is a huge sago! What a lovely plant! Good thing you had a pickup :-)

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I hurt just reading about it!

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Sagos are so beautiful, but I will never have another one here in North Texas............too much trouble. It is terrible of Barbra to make you work so hard, Pa, wonder if she has a job for me?????

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Well, I finally got home, and need to tell you that Albert could not budge that sago. I planted it in 1996, and it loved where it was. Albert went to his truck and brought a rope, tied it around his waist, and started pulling. I told him it would not work, what did he think he was a mule. Betty (boss lady) had nothing but faith that he would do it. We started pushing with shovels and it finally gave. Don't worry about soil, I put in 4 bags and have already planted a brugmansia where it was. Barbra

• princealbert
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey guys,
    Don't be too hard on her, I brought it on myself.

Barbara. We got you a beautiful tropical hibiscus today at Adams nursery. I don't remember the name. We saw some neat/pretty ones at bloomers too. We didn't buy any there.
    pa

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Albert you didn't have to get me anything. I was so happy that you decided to dig it up. I see that you planted both the sagos in your yard already. They love it down there, as long as they are not planted too deep. Sine the Mesquite trees started to bloom, I brought out some plants from the garage and put them back in my yard, I hope I am not jumping the gun. Yesterday it was 75 degrees when I left. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Well Albert came over last week and brought me the hibiscus that they bought me, and did me another favor. This time he dup up a large rubber tree, he is unbelievable! I tired for over 30 mintues trying to get a shovel around it,the plant had oak roots wrapped around it, I could not even get the shovel into the ground. I don't know how he does it but he was able to dig it up. Thank you Albert. Barbra

• princealbert
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I put the rubber tree in the ground the next day. It is doing great. Today we planted 4 gingers,some irises,2 hardy hibiscus,2 lillies and a tropical hibiscus. there were several plants not ready to go in the ground that got new pot homes.
    pa

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

This is how I remember Albert! If you think the sago was big, you should have seen the rubber tree. Once he set his mind to do something, he made it happen. Barbra

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I wish he had have had more time to enjoy the fruits of his labor, but since gardening is a journey, I am sure his rewards were great for just being able to work there!
    We shall miss "PA" ......................

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I had been thinking about this post. Thanks Barbra, for pulling it up.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?