Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dead of winter in 9b

Posted by jayemvee z9 SF Bay CA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 31, 11 at 23:06

OK, so it's not terrible, but I'm confused about how to treat plants that never really seem to sleep. Cyperus (papyrus), Hawaiian snow bush, heliconia and lemongrass among others.
I could post about each one separately, but the issue is the same: do I prune them back or not? I could knock the lemongrass down from it's present height of 7', including seed plumes as you would a purple fountain grass, I could take out each flowering cyperus stalk, I could trim...well, you get the idea, but I really can't tell if these plants need to be reminded it's time to re-group.
Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dead of winter in 9b

I can't seem to edit the personal info on my page so let it be said, I'm in ultra south Texas, Port Isabel/South Padre Island.

o

I've never seen Hawaiian snowbush before, but I can tell you that for stuff that spreads by rhizomes like cyperus, heliconia, and lemongrass (and bananas and ginger, etc.), you can typically let the tops get beat up in winter and then cut them back to the ground in spring so that new shoots come up and replace the old ones (which don't ever really recover, depending on how harsh the winter was). It keeps the plants much neater, especially things like cyperus).

o

I've been growing several clumps of lemongrass in my yard for years and never give them any special attention during cold weather. They even survived the 2004 Christmas 6" snow here in Rockport. And I have never cut them back, but I have cleaned out the dead outer leaves come spring. I would just let them be and see what happens. Good luck! Stay warm!

o

Wow, it must be nice to be 9b. I would love it. Are you getting hit hard by this winter freeze that's chillin us northerners in San Antonio?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here