Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberries in East Texas

Posted by greenthumbnick 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 08 at 23:26

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out which method and when is the best way to grow strawberries in east TX. I read an article on texasgardner.com that talks about planting them in the fall for a spring harvest and then pulling the plants up after harvest. Everything else I read talks about planting them in the spring. Which is the best way? Here is the article I read: http://www.texasgardener.com/pastissues/sepoct00/strawberries.html

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberries in East Texas

I bought some at walmart, planted them in a sandy soil filled pot and just let them go. They are 3yrs old. A friend of mine grows her's in her sandy front flowerbed-she has so many babies to give away every year. They really like sandy soil it seems. CJ

o

I have also been wondering about strawberries. I would like to know what varieties do well here in the Piney Woods. I have not seen any for sale in my local stores. Anyone know of a good supplier?

o

Strawberries LOVE East Texas!!! Please check out your local feed store. In our area the feed stores cater to the "old" farmers who know what grows the best here.

o

misha35,

If you're in Longview, Horaney's has them. From what I read, Squoia and Chandler are the best variety in this area. I bought mine from Simmons Plant Farm online.

www.simmonsplantfarm.com

They're 6 bucks for 25 plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here