Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hollyhock planting

Posted by scuba-gal 8a (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 2, 07 at 23:31

Does anyone plant hollyhocks? I purchased some seeds this past season, but I am unsure WHEN to sprinkle them out. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hollyhock planting

Hi Scuba
I asked the winter sowing forum this same question. The answer is yes I can plant them in January. I have 17 different kinds to plant. I hope to have them all planted in different containers by this weekend.
Janet

o

I have hollyhocks up and growing in the garden. I have seeds from my boo-full red hollyhocks to share, if anyone wants some.

Email your snail mail address. I will send them.

Janie

o

Janie, you've got mail !!!!!

o

Thanks so much everyone for the infomation. I will get mine out there this week!

o

I know Hollyhocks are biannuals...do they come back from the roots?

o

Yes they do. I've had them stay green year round. When they start looking terrible I just whacked 'em back.
Which is what I'm doing now with my Z' hollyhocks.
Just cut 'em down and they'll start re growing new leaves and stalks and looking good again in no time.

o

I would be interested in seeds, sending email.
Thanks very much!

o

Cool- thanks melvalena, I whacked mine down yesterday and assumed to be "biannual" they must come back from the roots...with all this rain they had gotten so bad with rust and they were mainly just stalks left.
Thanks for the help!!

RUMBUM - I have tons of seeds, send me and email and I get you some off in the mail~ smurfett8@sbcglobal.net

o

I found some Hollyhock seeds my sister-in-law gave me several years back, it is Mid=March in Central Williamson Co., Texas; is it too late to plant them? If not, do I just sprinkle the seeds and gently till in?
Thank you,
Michelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here