Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Has anyone grown the "Brakelights" selection of red yucca

The idea of a brighter color, smaller size, and longer blooming red yucca intrigues me. If you've grown it, or seen it growing, I'd like to hear your impressions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Description and photo of Red yucca 'brakelights'

Comments (10)

• lucas_tx_gw
    10 years ago

They have them at North Haven in Dallas and I bought one a few weeks back but still have it in the pot.

All the photos I've seen are really nice.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lucas, thanks for the reply. Has anyone else seen them for sale?

I've called a few nurseries in San Antonio, but only Fanicks has small plants in five gal. pots for $50.00 ... a little pricy to take a chance on.

I also posted this on the Cacti and Succulents forum and the one respondent from California loved it, but had her plant die when she cut back on watering before it was well established.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

Checked the Monrovia site while special ordering something else today and they claim to have recently shipped some to a Lowes on the north side - so might check with them if close to you. This is first time I've used their site, so not sure how well their product locator works - these may have been for a pro order instead of retail. Must be wholesaling all they can grow because it is not currently available through their local delivery site.

Edit - Looks like info has been updated/corrected and currently no recent Brakelights deliveries from Monrovia in the SA area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monrovia Brakelights SA deliveries

This post was edited by bostedo on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 13:07

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow -- great tip! I talked to the garden manager the the Lowes location given above. None on the floor yet, but she is checking her orders and will call me back.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

Hope they can help you, but is looking more like a mistake they've since corrected. For a price comparison, our local Calloway's said they're asking $30 for a 3 gal. May not find any smaller than 3 gallon (legal ones, anyway) if the plant patent holder has a size restriction.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No Brakelights at Lowes ... yet.

Thanks bostedo for giving me an idea on what to expect on price. Locally owned Rainbow Gardens say they will 'probably' have some Brakelights in early March, but didn't know the size or price..

• lucas_tx_gw
    10 years ago

Roselee,

If you want to check with NorthHaven on size and prices I'd be happy to grab some for you. We'll come to Austin April 12-13 for the plant sale and could get them that far to you then if you can't find them locally, They had quite a few when I got mine a few weeks ago.

• loreleicomal
    10 years ago

Roselee, I bought a brakelights from Paul's Desert in Schertz. 5 gallon pot for no more than $10. Mine is still in a pot, but it has babies along the bloom stem that you're welcome to have.

• loreleicomal
    10 years ago

Roselee, I bought a brakelights from Paul's Desert in Schertz. 5 gallon pot for no more than $10. Mine is still in a pot, but it has babies along the bloom stem that you're welcome to have.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lucas, thank you SO MUCH for the offer. I really appreciate it, but I don't think I'll be able to connect with you in Austin.

Lorelei, wow -- it made babies along the bloom stem! I would love to have some. I'll send you an email.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County