Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is winter over?

Posted by cynthianovak 7/8 TX (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 0:20

I'm starting to think that winter is over. At least the big hard nasty winter. What do you think? Even more interesting...what are you planting? I put in potatoes and 1 calendula and some kale. Will stick in som snow peas and I hope I'm not too late. Tossed out some saved seeds for Mexican Mint Marigold. I spotted the purple amarant coming up so I'll move them around. WOW

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is winter over?

Currently planted for me:
Spinach
Kale
Collards
Carrots
Turnips
Onions
Garlic
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Parsnips
Radish
Peas
Mustard Greens
Yukon Gold Potato

Under lights:
Lots of Tomatoes most transplanted to bigger containers already
Squash - Transplanted after only 1 week. Grew large roots fast. I guess I am new and learning
Lavender
Lots of sweet and mile Peppers
Herbs- Basil, celeriac, cilantro, dill, fennel, parsley and more

This is my first year with a very large garden and my second year with a garden. I think everything is going as planned so far. My radishes are starting on their first true leaves. Everything in the ground has sprouted except the cabbage and others that I put in the front yard garden.

o

I have some of the romanesq broccoli /caulifower started and will put them in the garden today or tomorrow along with some chard, but I am concerned that I am too late for big gorgeous plants.

c

o

I really don't trust that it is over, Cynthia, though maybe not a really bad blast coming.

o

I think it's about over, though we're having a few cold nights. I've started peppers, tomatoes and a bunch of flowers from seed, tomatoes and one pepper are all that have come up yet, and I'm bringing them indoors at night. I already planted some tomatoes, and am covering them at night. But I think it's essentially done for this year.

o

Today's high was about 46? I'd say it is definitely still winter.

o

And a light freeze tonight...............yes, winter is still with us!!!

o

Rule of thumb - Wait till April Fool's day. Remember that snow we had in early April a few years ago?

Anything could happen for the next 6 weeks.

o

It has been a mild winter here in San Antonio. My one bell pepper plant never froze and has new leaves coming out.
I have spinach, romain and cabbage just sprouting. I figure I can always plant them again.

o

Thermometer says 27 at my house this morning and there is ice in the bird baths, so it is still winter where I live.

o

I had frost this morning nearby Spicewood but forecast calls for rather mild weather for at least a week. My Montezuma Cypress is growing! Bermuda grass are slowly starting to green up as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here