o
One more from the street

Posted by cynthianovak 7/8 TX (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 0:32

The dep red is Bastogne, the flashy orange is Flair

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One more from the street

Cynthia, how lovely! Thanks so much for the glimpses of the glorious color resulting from the many bulbs you've planted.

o

I bet people turn around and drive by again to see your pretty blooms a second time! :-)

o

WOW!

o

The blend of those colors.............just WOW !!!

o

Very pretty. Curious, are your tulips perennial in your garden or do you plant them each year?

o

Yes so pretty I would hang out in front of your yard all the time if I saw such colors! Thanks for posting pics.

My experience with home depot bought tulips has been that they don't come back next year. Someone told me that they are bred not to. Are yours perenial, where do you get them?

Pebbles

o

no, they do not return. Species tulips do but they look nothing like these.
Your friend is right, they are nipped back for at least 2 years before they can give a big flower like this.

Even if I allow the foliage to brown and take in all the nutrients it needs for a flower next year, what I will have is a bulb that looks like a head of garlic, lots of little clove like bulbs that will take at least 3 years to get as big as these.

o

You know last fall at Costco I saw packs of 50/100 bulbs at about $20 each. I was going through a pretty rough time then and couldn't commit myself to planting so many of them so passed them by. I mentioned to a friend if she'd share half but never went back for them.

Hopefully Costco will have them this fall too, in 2013.

Pebbles

o

I haven't tried Costco's tulip bulbs, a friend told me she wasn't happy with them. Maybe the wrong color or worse. I am a big fan oc Colorblends.com and Vanengelen.com

BTw I recently joined costo and I have a bad of Lucifr crocosmia waiting to get tucked in. :) c

o

Cynthia, I shared your pictures with some gardening buddies at work today. You should have heard all the oohs and ahhhs :-)

We are all so ready for spring!

o

Thank You! Right now it is so exciting and I love that you enjoy them. c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here