Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Horseradish in Zone 8?

Posted by timh z8 E.Tx. (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 5, 12 at 1:00

Hi everyone... just wondering if anyone has tried to grow Horseradish. For some odd reason, I have an urge to grow some. Back in the old days, I used to live in Iowa (Yuck!) and it was easy to grow of course. I always figured we did not have enough cold down here but, well, perhaps I am wrong.
I ended up with a Peoney a few years ago- was part of a big group of clearance stuff I bought. I almost tossed it into the compost pile but I figured what the heck- and remarkably, I have had Peoney blossoms each year since! My assumptions could then be wrong about Horseradish!

Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Horseradish in Zone 8?

I grew it in zone 9, it was really doing well, until my husband decided that he would put 6 to 8 inches of mulch in that flowerbed. It looked like it was trying to come back, but then we had the colder weather, then I did not see it anymore. I planted it in black cow manure, it was happy until the mulch. I found it at HEB in Rockport and planted it there. Barbra

o
RE: Horseradish in Zone 8?

There should not be any problem raising horseradish anywhere. It was easier in Michigan as we use to till it up about every 2 or 3 years to keep it from being too woody and it spread like wild fire but we did keep it contained. Just remember it isn't like what you buy, it has 10 times that strength, so enjoy the crop. Now peonies those I do miss they cannot take the heat here in the Houston area. They are such beautiful plants and blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here