Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ogrose_tx

My garden is starting to come alive - how about yours?

ogrose_tx
11 years ago

I can see changes in the garden, very subtle, over the last week, and everything is starting to look more alive! It's awfully early, but who's complaining?

Thursday in Texas promises to be a pretty fairly warm day, it will be for pruning, moving, etc. any roses that need it, and my DH is taking me to dinner that night - who could ask for anything more!

The only sour note is that my ungrateful ingrate sons didn't take me up on Jimmy Buffet tickets for May. They just don't understand my good taste!!

Comments (7)

• robyn_tx
    11 years ago

IMO, too much is coming alive in my garden this early. Coneflowers are peeking out with 6-8 leaves, salvia alive and kicking, sedum showing, roses budding, mexican honeysuckle putting out leaves, allium and rudbeckia growing, daylily putting on new growth ... and of course the henbit making its presence known where it's not welcome. :)

Shasta daises still green and above ground from winter (after 3 snowfalls!), coreopsis and pentstemons still dormant though ... but the rest of it seems a tad early to me. I am waiting for the early March freeze/ice to set everything back to funks-ville.

Even with the snowfall in the metro area this winter, I fear this enjoyable spring bodes formidable for a hot dang summer!

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

Oddly, my yard is about a week behind schedule according to the pictures I've taken in past years. I'm ready for a hot summer!

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I have to get the weeds and grass removed from some areas before I can tell. However, I went out to investigate what that beautiful blue flowered plant was and found that my dwarf veronica is blooming. I wish that it would spread....love that plant.......cannot remember the name or I would get more.
    Tomorrow looks perfect for pruning the roses.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I've noticed a lot of early blooms too. My fruit trees look like buds are forming too. I hope they don't bloom before the last freeze.

• Gretchen W.
    11 years ago

My first iris of the season is in the tree ring by the mailbox that has bloomed. We still have to replace the roof on our house so I don't want to much to bloom.
    Otherwise the roofers will need to put lots of tarps down.

• leelu
    11 years ago

Yes, I've already had most of my paperwhites bloom. One of my irises has bloomed two flowers as well. Some areas have a lot of bluebonnets coming up still. One of them is about to bloom within the next week. It's early for my area, but we've not had much of a winter. I've done some transplanting here and there and weeded a bit. I think that the weeds are going to be horrible this year.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

My collection of various sweet olives cultivars are blooming right now.

I just planted Montezuma cypress that I got from my brother that had already started growing. Maybe it was because of mild weather in NW Houston? We will see how it does here next year.

Latana plants are waking up as well.

I noticed that a redbud in the median in the neighborhood is blooming right now.