Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angel123_gw

Purple sage

angel123
16 years ago

I have a 6 feet high purple sage. I want to know if i can prune it now or is it to late.

Comments (3)

• brenda_in_tx
    16 years ago

I did a Google search and found this, though it isn't specific to your plant. Hope this helps and/or someone comes along that knows for sure. The site I copied from is in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, TX.

"The best time for pruning depends upon the shrub, generally after flowering and fruiting is completed. Shrubs that lose their leaves, either in winter or during a drought, this is the best time to prune as they are bare and it allows for the best assessment of the shrub's overall shape and health problems, and for ease in seeing where cuts are to be made. Otherwise, light pruning to control growth throughout the year is acceptable."

• trsinc
    16 years ago

Are you talking about the gray leaved bush that blooms pink or purple flowers? Evergreen or evergray, sometimes called Texas Sage or Cenizo?

I pruned mine either last spring,2007, or fall of 2006, can't remember which, and it did not bloom at all last year but it did fill out a little. I severely pruned to 1 foot high. From what I have observed it blooms on new growth so I would expect mine to bloom this year.

I really don't think it matters when you prune it. There really is no way to avoid disrupting the bloom cycle since it blooms periodically according to humidity levels. In the fall it is easier to see what you are doing, with mine anyway. Some would say you run the risk of new growth freezing back by fall or winter pruning, but they are so tough I really don't think it matters, imho.

I don't care to prune throughout the year, as stated above, because then you won't get any blooms. But at some point you have to whack it or it will out grow the state of Texas, lol.

Someone else might have a different take on it.

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

This info is for Texas sage (cenizo) or a lot of times refered to as purple sage.

If you are doing a severe pruning late winter or early spring is a good time. If you are doing less than a third of the plant than you could wait a bit but personally I would still do it now. Cutting back in the fall too late with new growth not hardened off can set the plant back the following spring but will not usually kill it.
    Happy Growing David
    Hope this helps if not please explain in more detail what you are trying to do. Pruning can mean a little or a lot depending on the need.

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner