Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a cascading vine

Posted by maryhm Austin, TX (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 12, 11 at 8:43

I have a short cement wall (about 2 feet high). Behind the wall is a gardening area that will be my herb garden. I'd like to plant something at the top of the wall that will cascade down and cover the cement, but can be easily controlled to not spread back into my herb garden and take over there. I would prefer something that is evergreen if possible- must be a perennial. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a cascading vine

A prostrate rosemary. Wandering Jew, Silver ponyfoot, wooly stemodia, Sedum palmerii ( not a vine but cascades nicely), Ditany of crete, ornamental oreganoes ( Kent beauty and relatives). Some of these are cascading plants not vines.

o

Prostrate rosemary might be the best idea, rosemary typically doesn't invade. Wandering Jew is pretty invasive and mine dies back to the roots every winter. The silver ponyfoot I have spread very well but has died back to the roots (I hope).

Most vines and spreading plants are going to want to grow back into the garden as well as over the wall. Mother-of-thyme spreads and will cascade over the edge of a pot but I don't know if it would try to take over the entire garden. Could you do a combination of a cascading plant on top and a short plant at the bottom of the wall?

o

I like confederate jasmine. It's not invasive and when it blooms it smells great. It does grow fast when established but is easy to control. Evergreen. Only drawback to me is when cut has a milky, sticky sap.

I put it along a trellis/fence between my yard and the neighbors. Also have it on a trellis next to my pool as a privacy screen.

o

How about callirhoe involcrata

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here